Solar controller keeps popping fuse, what is wrong?

mrdorkdar

Nov 23, 2017
Lake Forest, CA
I changed some wiring around yesterday to make my solar controller more automatic and for some reason now it pops the fuse whenever it turn heating on. Is my wiring wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 9
You have to give us more information.

What solar controller is it? Where can we find the installation manual for it?

Identify each wire by color going into the timer and solar controller and tell us what you think it if for and what voltage is on it. All the wires going down and out fo the picture, what devices do they go to?

dork,

In my 60 years of doing this type of stuff about 99.9% of the time, when something worked ok and then someone did some work on it, and it then no longer worked, it was the rewiring that was wrong. :mrgreen:

It appears you have an Intermatic 101 and a Hayward Gl-235 Solar controller.

I can't tell for sure what you were trying to do with your rewire.. So tell us what you were trying to accomplish.

Where does the white wire in the lower right of your timer pic go???

Where does the white wire in the lower left of your solar controller go?

Where does the black wire attached to the solar controller pin 6 (relay output) go?

Where does the 120 volts AC that runs the controller come from?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I had someone come out and I figured it out. I basically thought the power going to the solar controller was what also would go to the timer to turn on the pump. That is wrong. The timer needs a hot wire to go to the solar controller and then the relay switch wire goes back to the timer. Makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.