Solar Control

Carlos Pesantes

Jan 3, 2021
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Hello, I am Ing. Mec. I live in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I am building a swimming pool with two independent cycles: one for filtration and the other for heating with water circulation through solar panels.

Measurements:

• L = 46 ft, W = 6 ft and H = 4 ft; area 276 ft2, volume 1,104 ft3 or 8,258 gal

• Pump: Pentair Superflo Model SF-N1-1ª 1 hp at 3450 rpm; 49 gpm in our conditions

• Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80

• Solar panels: (7) Heliocol Model HC-50

The conditions are:

• Filtration cycle 5½ h / day, controlled with a timer from 11h00 to 16h30

• Heating cycle until reaching 84.2 ° F in pool water

• Temperature 7:00 am / 5:00 pm: May / November 73 and 86 ° F, and December / April 77 and 95 ° F

I have two options:

1) Calculate for the two stations the time in which solar panels reach their goal, for example 3 h and 4 h respectively. A solar controller with temperature sensors: turn the pump on / off and open / close the 3WV, during hours of solar radiation. And at night a timer turns the pump on / off to complete the 5½ hours of filtration (2½ or 1½ hours depending on the season)

2) A timer sets 5½ hours of filtration between 11h00 and 16h30 and a solar controller will open the 3WV when its temperature sensor on the roof reaches 89.6 ° F (~ 95% of the days of the year) and another temperature sensor at the filter output reaches 84.2 ° F (~ 92% of the days of the year)

My question is: is there a solar sensor for option 2 that closes the 3WV when the filtration cycle ends, even if the pool water has not been heated to 84.2 ° F and and this option can work?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.