Softened water or not for filling pool

howardtopher

Sep 22, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Our pool was filled up about 7 weeks ago. Since filling I've watched the CH level climb from 100 to 125 to 150 over that time. I know it's fine for now, but trending toward a drain/refill at some point next season. We've been in a drought period and have only had 1/2 inch of rain in these last 7 weeks so no help from nature.

For water we have an irrigation line and the regular water line for the house (separate meters). I used the irrigation line to fill the pool so there are no sewer charges added on and I've been using it for fill ups also. In the house we have a water softener that covers all of the outdoor faucets also.

Out of curiosity, tonight I tested the CH of the irrigation line and the house softened line. The irrigation one is 100-125. (I give the range because the test turned blue at 100, but after 10 seconds or so it slowly faded back to red and the next drop make it stick to blue.) The house softened water is 0, so the softener is working great.

I'm curious if there is any reason to not use the softened water for topping off the pool? Does it add anything else, affect chlorine effectiveness or ph levels, etc? I hoping to extend the amount of time between drain/refill as much as possible. It will certainly be easier to use the softened water as the faucet is 15 ft from the pool. The irrigation box is out by the street and takes 150 ft hose to reach. I just want to make sure it's ok to use softened water before doing it.

No problem using softened water for fill water if your water softener can handle the load.

Some folks switch between the two water sources depending on their pools CH needs. I think @MyAZPool pool has such a setup. He wrote about it here...

I would think you just use the irrigation water as it is cheaper. It is low in CH and I doubt you add that much due to evaporation anyway.

Your CH will stay well below 400 ppm or so for a very long time, possibly forever.

howardtopher
Agree with the two recommendations above. Although I use soft water to compensate for my high calcium hardness municipal water in combination with the extreme evaporation rates in my area, I too wouldn't think it would be necessary in your area and given your lower fill water CH.
r.

My tap water is about 125 as well and I manage to keep my pool between 350 - 500 which is fine. In the winter when it does not rain as much and I have to manual fill the CH creeps up. In the summer where my auto drain is constantly draining water from the pool it drifts back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.