SoCal *Splash* Pool

Congrats on your build so far! For some reason I lost your build in the shuffle of our own build. I went to Lowe's yesterday and stocked up on some plants -- So thrilled. Come home and I'm reminded there's freezing weather coming in the next week. !! I bought junipers to line behind the pool. Some phlox for someplace -- I know their flowers spew all over so not around the pool. And another gardenia because our Ellie decided to dig into the only completed flower bed .. . . Twice . . . And dug up a plant. The things we go through.

Reactions: Girija
I agree with Dirk about getting the tiles the way you want them. We went to a friend's pool and they have a raised spa. They had a tile I was considering at the time so I was really looking at it. Their tile guys did not do a good job of randomizing the tiles. One easy thing is to flip them so the pattern is going a different way. I would lay them out.

Congrats on your build so far! For some reason I lost your build in the shuffle of our own build. I went to Lowe's yesterday and stocked up on some plants -- So thrilled. Come home and I'm reminded there's freezing weather coming in the next week. !! I bought junipers to line behind the pool. Some phlox for someplace -- I know their flowers spew all over so not around the pool. And another gardenia because our Ellie decided to dig into the only completed flower bed .. . . Twice . . . And dug up a plant. The things we go through.
I know. I lost track of your pool build too and just this morning saw your successful, beautiful plaster finish! Congrats! You are so fortunate to have a "smooth as granite" finish!! I'm stuck with Pebble Tec products (unless I sign my life away) and the only PT medium blue water colors are in the mini pebble finishes. Yes, the things we go through 🤪 Crazy. So sorry about your dug up plant - twice no less!

Oh! Sollace, I FINALLY received samples of the Master Tile Isola Elba 6" YESTERDAY! HA! (Master tile was really hard to get. They were bought out by NPT and getting samples was crazy difficult.) Anyway, it is beautiful and would have been a good (better) substitute for my original 6" waterline that accompanied the glass. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

This is a little obscure, but might be worth considering. On a still day, any anomalies that bug you in the tile layout (weird patterns or blocks of colors) you'll have to look at twice. One on the wall, and the other in the reflection on the water. You'll get a two-fer...

Dirk has very good advice! There was one build where they put all of the lighter tiles together and all of the darker tiles together. It looked AWFUL! The pool owners sent a pic of it to the PB and he agreed and HE came out to help lay out the new tile after the tiler took the old stuff off...................I sure hope he had some words with the tilers to keep that from happening again.

Dirk has very good advice! There was one build where they put all of the lighter tiles together and all of the darker tiles together. It looked AWFUL! The pool owners sent a pic of it to the PB and he agreed and HE came out to help lay out the new tile after the tiler took the old stuff off...................I sure hope he had some words with the tilers to keep that from happening again.
I couldn't agree more! I've spent many hours in my own home arranging tiles for various projects. I will be laying them out! Kimkats, sorry for one less patch of bling in the world :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats and Nikilyn
Oh! Sollace, I FINALLY received samples of the Master Tile Isola Elba 6" YESTERDAY! HA! .
Interesting those tiles are in such demand ) It's all good in the long run and you got the tile you wanted. Glad things are progressing for you! Edit: Just saw the two tiles poised at the water edge in your picture (above). Wow. LOVE that tile! So gorgeous.

Reactions: Girija and kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Concern: See pics. There is up to 6" of loose (non compacted) dirt comprising the 15 1/2" area where the concrete will be poured. AND there is no rebar in that area.
Shouldn't this dirt be well-compacted to help prevent cracking? And should there be another line of rebar over the dirt? - THE POUR IS SCHEDULED FOR THIS FRIDAY - Thank you!
Background: I asked for 12x24" finished pour in place coping. The PB said he requested a 10" bond beam to accommodate my request. The shotcrete crew shot a 12"-15+" bond beam (uneven and wrong size). I was not aware of any of this until last week when the form crew for the coping came out and told me they would have to chip away a lot of bond beam around the pool just to get a final product of 15" - They came up with that width based on the fact that my 14' raised cascade wall's top is 12" - so without chipping away at that, and with a ~ 1 1/2" cantilever overhang on both sides (12 + 3 = 15). I didn't like it, but the alternative (chipping a 12" wide, 14 foot long and 18 inches high, wall down to 10" wide or less) seemed crazy.
The framing was finished yesterday. My husband and I were not here. The coping width grew to 15 1/2" . . . I did NOT want 15 1/2" x 24 inch coping! I wanted rectangles, not squares- and not a lot of joint lines. The PB doesn't want to put joint lines over 24" because "there will be cracking" . . . I am trying to come to grips with all of this 😳

Attachments

• 20210224_081645.jpg
    20210224_081645.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210224_081720.jpg
    20210224_081720.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Nikilyn
Non-expert comment: The pour will be in the wood box (forms) they made -- So it will be that thick and high, the measurements of the box.
Our decking layout had a bonding wire wandering through it. You also need support under the rebar so it sits in the middle of the pour, not laying on the ground. We put extra support under our rebar to lift it up. Again, I'm not an expert at all, just a first hand view of our own deck build which was rather recent.

Show us some wider pics of the pool shell and forms.

I think no one but you will know that the coping is 15.5" wide and you wanted it 12". No one will see the extra 3 inches except you.

I am more concerned about how the cantilevered coping will kept isolated with an expansion joint from the bond beam and pool structure.

Cantilevered_Coping.png

Our decking layout had a bonding wire wandering through it. You also need support under the rebar so it sits in the middle of the pour, not laying on the ground. We put extra support under our rebar to lift it up.

Rebar has cones placed under it so it does not lay on the ground and the concrete can flow around it and encapsulate the rebar. It looks like you are missing the cones.

Show us some wider pics of the pool shell and forms.

I think no one but you will know that the coping is 15.5" wide and you wanted it 12". No one will see the extra 3 inches except you.

I am more concerned about how the cantilevered coping will kept isolated with an expansion joint from the bond beam and pool structure.

Cantilevered_Coping.png
Hi Alan, Let me know if these pictures help with your concern or not . . . I'm brain dead right now and nothings computing o_O I will run your question by my husband tonight. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20210223_172208.jpg
    20210223_172208.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210223_172226.jpg
    20210223_172226.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 49
Rebar has cones placed under it so it does not lay on the ground and the concrete can flow around it and encapsulate the rebar. It looks like you are missing the cones.
Hello Again, The rebar is off the ground. It is being held up by pieces of vertical rebar that were cemented into the bond beam for that purpose (you can see it in the first pic of rebar if you blow up that pic). However, I know the rebar is supposed to be in the middle of the pour and I'm not sure it's currently high enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.