So this just happened....

I have always manually vacuumed my pool on a weekly to bi-weekly basis, even when I had a suction-side cleaner running all the time in the pool. It is my opinion that no cleaner, not a single one, will do as thorough a job of cleaning a pool as a simple manual vacuum head on the end of telescoping pool brush pole. Robots, cleaners, etc, are all just "convenience tools" that allow pool owners to clean out most of the "big stuff" and visible dirt that gets blown into a pool thus freeing them up to do other tasks. Finer detailed cleaning happens when one actually put a little bit of elbow grease into the mix - brush, leaf rake/skimmer bag and manual vacuum, there are no shortcuts.

I haven't owned a manual cleaner since 97.

When I was using the G5 and subsequent G3 I would just brush the steps off and brush the shallow end down and walls down and the cleaner(s) got the rest

The T5 and MX8 are much more aggressive in seeking the shallow end and in wall climbing and ameliorate the need for manual brushing down at the expense of a longevity in the run time.

I still may give a quick brush here and there just to speed it up, but I can leave them completely alone and get great coverage (at the expense of skimming) while this takes place.

UD

As a soon to be new pool owner (dig starts tomorrow) I will take whatever the PB gives me and within the next year or so I will step up to something like this. In the mean time I figure I can learn more firsthand about our pool....

As a soon to be new pool owner (dig starts tomorrow) I will take whatever the PB gives me and within the next year or so I will step up to something like this. In the mean time I figure I can learn more firsthand about our pool....

If you work the price of a top of the line cleaner into your build right now, it won't sting later on, and you'll be glad you did.

Well, we're off to vacation for a week (LegoLand) and won't be returning until Saturday. Along with chemical additions (really just bumping up the SWG % while I'm gone and adding some acid to lower pH), I finally got a chance to use the Bluetooth connected weekly timer setup. With the S300i, you can use the Dolphin App to setup a weekly timer and the S300i gives you the option to set exact run times each day or any combination of days and start times. So I can schedule the unit to run at a specific time each day of the week. It also allows you to run it that way week to week if you so choose. It's a very flexible programming interface and I really like it.

Now, someday they need to put WiFi into it so that you can check on it while you're on the road...I'm sure that's coming. Of course, since I refuse to install ScreenLogic, I guess I have to be consistent and hate everything that is "WiFi Everywhere".....:laughblue:

Just think, if you had Screen Logic, you could tweak your SWG and pump run time from the road. :poke:

Don't forget to PM Brian so he knows of your arrival time for the Memorial Day BBQ at his place. LOL :cheers:

Just got back from a week long trip. Mr T did an amazing job keeping the pool clean. No major debris BUT the Ultra Filters were caked with fine silt. The water running off then was practically black at first. Definitely a +1 to recommending anyone with an S series Dolphin getting the ultra fine filters, they are incredible!

Oh, and note to self, change the hair net in the skimmer basket BEFORE you leave! When I left, the hairnet already had a week's worth of debris in it. When I opened up the skimmer cover....WOW! that was just gross! I was actually a bit scared to stick my hand into that mess. The hairnet weighed about 3 lbs wet with pollen, flowers, fines, and LOTS of dead bugs and spiders :pukel:

So Dolphin has updated their App for mobile devices that connect to Bluetooth enabled cleaners. While they improved the connection efficiency and it doesn't take as long as it used to to connect to the cleaner, the major updates really seem cosmetic to me - larger fonts, more active icons and a little bit more information about the current status of the cleaner....but very little is "new". I really wish they'd include a countdown timer so that the user can see how much time is left in the currently running cleaning cycle, but they have yet to add that very simple and obvious feature???

Anyway, I still like to use the App as it allows the owner to access the advanced features if their robots have them. Note that only the 300i has access to the more advanced cleaner features.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but why would you pay for what the PB "gives you" now only to replace it next year? Good chance that with markup and install fees, he may put in an inferior solution that would cost the same as a higher end robot like the 300. Worth a thought.

So Dolphin has updated their App for mobile devices that connect to Bluetooth enabled cleaners. While they improved the connection efficiency and it doesn't take as long as it used to to connect to the cleaner, the major updates really seem cosmetic to me - larger fonts, more active icons and a little bit more information about the current status of the cleaner....but very little is "new". I really wish they'd include a countdown timer so that the user can see how much time is left in the currently running cleaning cycle, but they have yet to add that very simple and obvious feature???

Anyway, I still like to use the App as it allows the owner to access the advanced features if their robots have them. Note that only the 300i has access to the more advanced cleaner features.

They are saving the countdown timer for the S3:30i Powersweepclean Turbo IntelliBrush version. Or it was in the updated app version but Apple rejected it because they didn't own the copyright to the countdown timer.

Ultra-fine Filter Screens Stuck

So today was roughly 2+ months of operation of Mr T and so I decided to give the ultra-fine cartridges a clean. The #1 cartridge popped out easy enough but #2 was totally stuck in there. I was pressing on the tabs with A LOT of force and decided that if I kept going, I would break something. Since Dolphin is known to make their stuff obvious to fix, I decided that removing the four screws on the top of the filter basket frame would let me take the cartridges out. As I guessed, sand particles got wedged between the filter insert and the frame essentially acting like a wedge and making it impossible to remove. Here's the top of the basket with the screws undone -

dbtgallery.php

Once the four screws are released, the top of the frame with the handle easily comes off the four posts and the filter screens are then very easy to remove. As you can see here, there was definitely dirt lodged between the frame and inserts -

dbtgallery.php

You can see it here on the inserts rubber seal as well -

dbtgallery.php

Since I was in the laundry room and had time, I decided to soak the screens in a standard cleaning formulation - 1/4 cup TSP (trisodium phosphate), 1/4 cup laundry bleach and 2 gallons of water -

dbtgallery.php

I let them soak for an hour, rinsed them thoroughly and reinstalled. Filter looks brand new.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, the other day I had an accidental filter *BURP* that caused a large plume of DE to shoot into my sparkly clean pool (filter burp was my doing and not at all normal). The DE plume stopped after a few seconds but my sparkly pool turned into hazy pool :( I decided to let the pool pump run for a few extra hours and had the kids jump in and stir up the water. Then, late in the evening, I shut it all down to let the DE settle.

In the morning, the water looked a lot better but I still noticed an ever-so-slight haze so I decided to thrown in Mr. T. Well, after a 2-1/2 hour Floor-only cycle, the water looked much improved and I pulled him out. Wow! The UltraFine pleated filters were caked up and, when I rinsed them, a steady stream of milky, off-white water poured off of them. I was very impressed that the Dolphin was able to capture all that settled DE without the roller brushes just pushing it away. I have since cleaned the pool one more time and there was very little fine debris coming off the pleated filters.

So, once again, thumbs-up to the S300i robot :thumleft:

(My manual vacuum head is busted and so I could not do any slow manual cleaning. I'm hoping to wait until the end of summer to try to catch a deal on vacuum heads....)

Mr. T’s Winter’s slumber :sleep:

The water’s cold enough and there’s not much debris this time of year around my pool so I decided it was time for Mr T to go into the garage for the winter. The air is dry outside and the overnight temps are in the 50’s so I figured his parts would be happier indoors. He’s been in the pool the last three days and so I pulled him out and hosed him down real good. I gave him and his caddy a good wipe down. I also tore apart the filter basket and cleaned the ultra fine filters.

Here he is in his resting spot near the water heater -

08A4211D-A491-46CD-B0BA-D85828E15F57.jpg

I placed a small piece of styrofoam inside the robot for the filter basket to rest on (instead of keeping the springs compressed) and left his lid open. His cover consists of a 45 gallon black trash bag -

55B3F2B2-941E-4313-9AED-B31A538E31F9.jpg

Also, I highly recommend taking apart the filter basket and thoroughly cleaning everything. I was amazed at how much grit gets stuck in between plastic parts -

3A35B9EC-EC63-415B-9FF5-6523C0A2F99F.jpg

Here it is reassembled while the ultra fine filters were soaking in TSP -

D320E2AD-21EB-44C7-A288-B969F76C1C37.jpg

From here on out it’s manual vacuuming until spring opening....sweet dreams Mr T

About two weeks ago, I put my S300i in for the first time since the pool was built and I am astounded at how well it works! It sucked up about 2 cups of dirt as well as all the pebble that was left over after finishing/filling.

My pool has an island with a lazy river and I have only had to free up Chrissy Teigen (always wanted to say that I had a SI Swimsuit model in my pool) once when she got wrapped around the island. Needless to say, I'm sold!

Mr T was recalled to active duty today as I was too lazy to manually vacuum and water temps are nearing 66-68F each day. He had a nice winters nap in the garage but now it’s time to own that pool like a boss!

1050A01B-9F5C-4552-8A0C-C63BE0DC9AE8.jpg

He loves this corner....cleanest tile in the whole pool!

33C6914E-FEA1-45A4-89CA-263DB1A9E13E.jpg

Matt.........guess what???? I am getting robot!!!!! Should be here soon! Having to wait a little longer than normal but that is part of the deal so not big deal! I SO EXCITED!!!

Kim:kim:

You will name her Lil’ Kim, right?!?!

Can’t wait to see your pool robot post!! I’m so excited for you. You’re going to love it.

Woohoo...welcome to the club ;)

So this is after a standard 2-hr cycle -

1DE842BD-8969-4300-9DF4-2264CE2EF849.jpg

8F51123B-8EBB-4E27-9C4D-D29103268A17.jpg

61880F45-123C-4E92-9081-97468FA67BD6.jpg

The fine cartridges were pure white when I put the bot in the pool. They were dark brown and caked with silt after two hours. There’s still 2 or 3 leaves at the bottom of the pool and I’ll get those with the net tomorrow. All in all, a good job and the water looks a little more sparkly. The fine pleated filter really captures a lot of gunk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.