So this happened

Day one is in the books. I have a shallow end hole. They are coming back tomorrow to build the forms and then Monday is scoop the hopper in the morning and pour in the afternoon. Until it isn't of course. :ROFLMAO:

There has been waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much 'isn't' so far, to trust anything tomorrow. But. Progress today so it's a WIN.
Did you get more of the "isn't" with the snow this week? Hoping you were spared and aren't set back too much.

I'm sorry you are going through that but I love that he's been such a great comfort for you. Dogs are seriously the best.
He died of covid. Its been a nightmare for me because it was just us and our granddaughter. When she wasn't there it was just him n myself. I gave him everything I had n now it's just me n the dogs. Granddaughter is still in school so it's hard to get her through the school year. I'm finding my way, slowly. Cecil has been a tremendous help in helping me with my lonliness. He n the boxer sleep in my bed at night. It's a snoring competition between them and they remind me of my husband. :mrgreen:

Did you get more of the "isn't" with the snow this week? Hoping you were spared and aren't set back too much
We got spared the snow and they were here working in the Nor'Easter rain. They poured the wall for custom liner stairs and had to cut the excess off. (The '|__|' part in the pics).

The project manager seems to be the same one everybody else gets, as he has dropped the ball 4 times in only 2 days of work. That guy sure gets around. The stairs screw up was not fun for the workers to fix.

Will get some pics after work. Plumbing and electric are next and shouldn't be any delay.

• Sad
Reactions: TKpoolOH
We got spared the snow and they were here working in the Nor'Easter rain. They poured the wall for custom liner stairs and had to cut the excess off. (The '|__|' part in the pics).

The project manager seems to be the same one everybody else gets, as he has dropped the ball 4 times in only 2 days of work. That guy sure gets around. The stairs screw up was not fun for the workers to fix.

Will get some pics after work. Plumbing and electric are next and shouldn't be any delay.
Our project manager was right there on time - when it was time to pick up a check. Other than that it was screw up after screw up, and the workers had to go back and fix problems that just a little planning and communication could have prevented.

wow! look at you, all confident and tempting fate by typing that out.
Both are dirt simple jobs and they will have plenty of time to schedule workers while we wait on everything else.

The equipment, pvc and fittings are on-site and the electric is a basic pool panel on the other side of the wall from the house breakers, plus bonding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both are dirt simple jobs and they will have plenty of time to schedule workers while we wait on everything else.

The equipment, pvc and fittings are on-site and the electric is a basic pool panel on the other side of the wall from the house breakers, plus bonding.
Man, talk about doubling down on the pool god baiting..
😆

Did you factor in a flood light above the panel as well as a few accessory plugs? I have one accessory plug (standard 120V/15A outlet) but honestly wish I had two. It can be added later but so much better to do it now.

Reactions: Newdude and proavia
I will add stuffs after the fact
Coolio, but now's the time to run the conduit. Run extras. Throw some drip or irrigation lines into the ditches, too. Then throw in some more. Think far ahead, as conduit is cheaper than running things later, especially under decking. Just use sweep elbows and cap them off where you can find them. Later you can pull whatever you want through them. If you go all out, you'll probably need to separate gas from other pipes, plus separate conduits for low and high voltage.
- Gas for BBQ, fire pit or space heaters.
- Extra lighting, lamp post style or bistro lighting, overhead, high voltage
- Extra lighting, garden lights or "twinkly" bistro lights, low voltage (CFO will LOVE garden and bistro lights)
- Extra 120V outlets
- Bug zapper
- Speaker wire
- Ethernet wire, several cables (which can be used for extending wifi, or for video surveillance, intercom, television signals, home automation, etc)
- Hose bibb water (for washing the deck)
- Drinking water (for a sink or fountain)
- Speaking of which, how about a nice fountain or water feature (so pipes for lighting and refilling)

Consider running 120V outlets on separate circuits, so you can breaker them separately, or put switches on them. I have four outlets in my yard, and each half of each outlet is on its own circuit (green, white, red and black wires). That's how I control all my goodies independently: fountain, bug zapper, citrus tree heater, garden lights, bistro lights. Overkill is what I do, but I use each all the time so it was worth the extra effort, and the lighting, especially, really makes my yard pretty amazing at night.

You may never need the extra conduits, or you might thank me someday. Or you might trip over their stubs all the time and curse me regularly (you know, even more so).

I've yet to complete my write up about how I added a temperature sensor to my pool, the readings from which I can get without wifi, batteries, or anything floating in the pool. And it's not dependent on the filter pump running, so I have access to the temp 24/7. It's a total extravagance (though I use it everyday), but one that would have been so much easier to achieve if I had been able to add it before the gunite. I'll try to get to that write up soon.

Don't forget auto-leveling, both filling and overflow draining. I like my PoolMiser, for several reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Coolio, but now's the time to run the conduit
You are absolutely on the money here. THANKS for the reminder.

What's the minimum distance from the pool for outlets ? Is it 5-6 ft for all pools or just above grounds ? The excavator missed the old pool feed so I can repurpose that for the robot . It's about 4 ft away though so it probably needs to be pushed back.

You are absolutely on the money here. THANKS for the reminder.

What's the minimum distance from the pool for outlets ? Is it 5-6 ft for all pools or just above grounds ? The excavator missed the old pool feed so I can repurpose that for the robot . It's about 4 ft away though so it probably needs to be pushed back.
Not sure, 5' sounds familiar. Best to check with local codes. You'll want outlets to be strategically placed so that you can get at them from the deck without having to trek through landscaping, or dig them out of the middle of some bush.

Speaking of codes... this will all be permitted, I assume? One thing that really helped me with a major plumbing remodel I did once was to go down to the city planning dept in advance, even before the permit, and establish a relationship with them. I even asked them to come out to the property beforehand, to discuss the project and the expectations of the building dept. They called that a "pre-inspection," and they were happy to do it.

That seemed to go over well with them. I played the "Gee, I don't know much about this stuff, but I sure want to do it right." routine. Which garnered some positive sympathy, I think. I'm pretty sure that greased the inspection process, too, plus one of the inspectors became my go-to when I had a question about code or best-practice. This was a four-flex, and they ended up passing all four units based on inspecting just one of them, so that sure sped up the process.

Just a thought... a 'catch more flies with honey" type strategy...

Reactions: vmaxed and Newdude
NEC 680 … download it.

High voltage needs to be 5ft or more from the water’s edge.
In addition and specific to Massachusetts, you need to have an outlet that is within 10ft of the pool. I must of got a stupid look on my face when the eletrician said that, because he went on to explain why the code was added.

Reactions: Newdude
In addition and specific to Massachusetts, you need to have an outlet that is within 10ft of the pool. I must of got a stupid look on my face when the eletrician said that, because he went on to explain why the code was added
Well ?????? Go on.
:epds:

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.