So this happened

They used the excavator to 'trench' most of the way to the equipment pad. They found the electric to the old pool that I wanted to move. THANKS guys !!!

20220430_144037.jpg20220430_144051.jpg

Deep end getting deep-ier because GC didn't listen.
Explain, please.

Also, knowing nothing about pool building aside, that big gap in the side of your pool seems odd to me. Is that for the stairs? How is the shell structurally sound when it's full of tons of water? No concrete on the bottom, right? So the walls don't tie into anything there. Then a big ol' hole in one wall? Is the backfill doing most of the work? Not able to wrap my head around how your pool works...

Reactions: newdude
They used the excavator to 'trench' most of the way to the equipment pad. They found the electric to the old pool that I wanted to move. THANKS guys !!!

View attachment 405520View attachment 405521
Your soil looks so much nicer to work with than ours. I go down about 4-6 inches and it’s just clumpy, hard, reddish, heavy chunks of clay.

Your soil looks so much nicer to work with than ours. I go down about 4-6 inches and it’s just clumpy, hard, reddish, heavy chunks of clay.

He lives on a very structurally sturdy geological formation known as …. a sandbar.

that big gap in the side of your pool seems odd to me. Is that for the stairs?
Yup. They secure them in the hole basically making a full wall but with a fiberglass section.
How is the shell structurally sound when it's full of tons of water
10 inche cement walls backfilled ain't going anywhere. They use a good amount of cement under the stairs and joining them to the walls. Well, cement like stuffs at least.
Your soil looks so much nicer to work with than ours
It's topsoil up to 10 inches deep, 2 to 4 foot of clay ish mix and then beach sand. The 2-4 ft range can be cement at times. The dirt pile (as opposed to the sand pile) which was loose as a goose already dried out and is rock hard. I stabbed it with a shovel earlier and the shovel bounced.

Yup. They secure them in the hole basically making a full wall but with a fiberglass section.

10 inche cement walls backfilled ain't going anywhere. They use a good amount of cement under the stairs and joining them to the walls. Well, cement like stuffs at least.

It's topsoil up to 10 inches deep, 2 to 4 foot of clay ish mix and then beach sand. The 2-4 ft range can be cement at times. The dirt pile (as opposed to the sand pile) which was loose as a goose already dried out and is rock hard. I stabbed it with a shovel earlier and the shovel bounced.
The clay here gets like that - when it’s wet, it’s 10,000 lbs and sticky. When it’s dry, it might as well be a rock. Wait a second, this feels like art class now … form the wet, sticky clay and then dry it in and oven and it gets hard. :unsure:

• Haha
EXACTLY. Murphys law is in FULL effect at all times. Need to dig? Concrete. Need to drive a load of XYZ across the yard to save 20 wheelbarrow trips? It's mud bogging time.

Every. Last. Time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went to college to be an engineer back when. It didn't work out that way, but I am qualified to build a doggo bridge as the left side of the yard is entirely cut off from the right. The little guy can Superman it but Large Marge does the Homer Simpson down Springfield Gorge

uZ4SK2.gif

So I re - repurposed the scrap I used for the equipment pad forms
20220501_085534.jpg

Last edited:
That doesn't look like it's up to code...think you need some railings
She has no thumbs to hold onto said railings and it's a feel good code only.

Like my drywell. In packed neighborhoods people complained when somebody drained their pool and flooded 6 neighbors. So now we need them eventhough my yard slopes toward a farm field with a culvert to channel any runoff from either me or the farm.

She has no thumbs to hold onto said railings and it's a feel good code only.

Like my drywell. In packed neighborhoods people complained when somebody drained their pool and flooded 6 neighbors. So now we need them eventhough my yard slopes toward a farm field with a culvert to channel any runoff from either me or the farm.
I love that :roll:...one person does something stupid and everyone else has to suffer for it.

I love that :roll:...one person does something stupid and everyone else has to suffer for it.
How much ya think this added to my pool cost ? It had to be in the high $100s if not $1k for the dry well, and then the excavator came just for that. Bare minimum another $1k. 🤦‍♂️ Thanks alot Karen.

Only now saw this thread and wanted to add my congrats and good luck! Can't wait to watch it all come together.
Welcome back DM !!!!! I'm eagerly waiting your 2nd album dropping. 😁

(For anyone who wasn't there, Dozen Monkey's avatar would make a SICK album cover to go with the band name)

Reactions: TKpoolOH
Welcome back DM !!!!! I'm eagerly waiting your 2nd album dropping. 😁

(For anyone who wasn't there, Dozen Monkey's avatar would make a SICK album cover to go with the band name)
Problem is my bandmate/son is now an 18yo about to graduate. Recreating that musical magic is pretty low on his priority list these days :laughblue:

Took a mental health day today. What better way to blow off steam than WITH A TRACTOR ?????????? WEEEEEEEEEEEEE

20220513_112828.jpg

I used all the sand they pulled from the deep end to stop the transfer of animals under the fence. Bunnies come in, upset dogs dig out when they can't chase them any further. I took the old PVC fence and buried the slats. If they dig down far enough, they will hit the slats and give up when they can't get through it. I have alot of smoothing out with a rake tomorrow.
20220513_114143.jpg

I also filled in the hole from the old semi inground pool and begun leveling a little.

Screenshot_20220513-170247_Gallery.jpg

I made a pretty good dent in the spoils in just a couple hours.
20220513_143045.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.