So pool shops are like anti virus software, they make the viruses to keep you coming back.

& you don’t need to buy a whole bunch - just 1 or 2 for now. They usually sell them in individual wrappers in the US. Not sure where u are.
Or just go with the liquid chlorine in a little pump garden sprayer - just be sure to rinse it out when you’re done each time so it doesn’t get gunked up/messed up.
Pretty easy- just pour it in the pool & rinse her out real good.
For now just keeping with slam level fc & aggressive brushing will certainly help.
There’s a stainless steel brush shortage round here apparently. Algae, algae everywhere. I’m using the old one currently. Plastic snaps off almost every brush. I’m ramping up search.

Let's confirm black algae first. Try the fingernail test. There are some falls alarms like copper staining which can look similar, but require different treatment.

When buying trichlor tabs, make sure it's just that. None of that multi action nonsense with copper additives etc.
OK I couldn't get the photo but here we go. What came off was like a dark clumpy matter, looked black to me. But once a chunk was crushed between my nails its was very green internally.

Reactions: mgtfp
OK I couldn't get the photo but here we go. What came off was like a dark clumpy matter, looked black to me. But once a chunk was crushed between my nails its was very green internally.

That does sound like black algae then.

Keep the SLAM going, and lots of brushing.

Who would've thought getting a bloody stainless brush would be so bloody hard. Pool shops out, looked for rough one at bunnings all they got is fairy brooms. Look online a trash one will take days, the good ones don't ship into Australia.

My SLAM preparedness is lacking perhaps. FC levels are great. Seriously worried about my back muscles. No wonder pool guys get the MILFs, always ripped from scrubbing.

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I GOT IT I GOT THE SS BRUSH WOOOOOOOWOOOOOO

Thurs Nite plans: brushin, partyin, bit more brushin, backwashin, partyin, explainn situation to cops, and back to brushing.

Nice

Next round on me if you can get these cops brushin your pool :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now tell us WHERE you found it so others can know when they need one!

So it was bunnings... but NOT the brush/broom aisle.

Took me 2 trips to figure this out.

But it was, drumroll, the pool aisle... i know.

Edit: https://www.bunnings.com.au/baracuda-25cm-s-steel-algae-brush_p0327399
Easily the highest quality unit within the bunnings range. Attaches to pole in a weird way. But attaches FAR better, clip clamp lock mechanism, than the usual little plastic poky bits through the holes. Stainless bristles couldve been a bit thicker but still working well.

ph tests false high when fc is above 10
maintaining a high fc for a prolonged period can have a small lowering effect on cya, within the range of testing error
brushing the algae can upset the clarity of the water
looks good to me
keep on, keeping on
Ok cause right at the beginning of this shindig I had 0 cya. Put one 2kg in. Cya=42

Then and I’m not sure why, I did another 2kg bag. Could’ve been post party but pre breakfast brain.

So my cya was now 75-80. I noticed cause pool math was telling me to dump in heaps of 12.5% chlorine. More than I remembered.

And it clicked.

Since then I’ve siphoned an amount of water out, and dumped dads (sign of the cross and kiss it) entire water tank in. It’s heading south.

This all ok? the algae is shrinking, the epic amount of scrubbing is all that’s required more now I think. Water is clearer than normal already.

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support