So pool shops are like anti virus software, they make the viruses to keep you coming back.

What if they fill it up out of a big tank?
Then they go through so much of it, it's basically always fresh. (y)

Bleach and liquid chlorine are both sodium hyperchlorite. LC is usually stronger and a better value, and household bleach typically has additives that cause foaming. (Splashless, flavors, chlorormax technology, etc)

2 pool shops 1 minute away. Bunnings 30 secs away.

Then I wouldn't stock up too heavily.

And be prepared for some "educational" interventions from the pool stores when they see you lugging out the chlorine in bulk. They'll probably try to sell you some magic potions, or powdered "shock" which will be either Dichlor (a form of chlorinated CYA which, surprise surprise, raises CYA) or calcium hypochlorite (guess what, it raises calcium levels).

That's one big advantage of Bunnings - no one there claims to be a pool expert, the red and green guys all hover around the "real" sections like timber, tools and plumbing. You can get in there and out again with just what you need, and not what they think is better.

But in the end it's about where you can get the freshest chlorine for the lowest price.

I did notice something this morning. Loosened clumps? of what i think is algae... was right next to a big patch. As if its died and the slight current had moved it together overnight. Robot running now, i think some died!!!

Did dump 6 liters of my remaining chlorine in to empty the jug.

I turned around the chlorinie container and of course theres the proper label... 125g/L available chlorine present as Sodium Hypochlorite.

Edit: Figured this out., Bleach 6L @ 12.5%. (Which chemical type in pool math under sanitizer is that?)

Last edited:
As they said- just do one test at a time, record the results & then post em up here. Feel free to ask questions along the way.
*The cya test is best done in bright sunlight (back to the sun)
but many do it in the kitchen along with all the other tests if its bright enough in there.
Now having done one CYA test thanks for this tip. It felt like the ambient lighting is critical!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Edit: Figured this out., Bleach 6L @ 12.5%. (Which chemical type in pool math under sanitizer is that?)

Yep, just put that in as 12.5% bleach like that:

Screenshot_20240303-155900.png

Even though for pool purposes it's usually sold as "liquid chlorine", we often just call it bleach. Same chemical as the stuff sold in the supermarkets for cleaning and laundry, just more concentrated.

TFP used to recommend to just buy cheap bleach from the supermarkets, but it's getting difficult to find just pure bleach there without any additives. And supermarket bleach in the US is higher concentrated than here, even if you found pure bleach, you'd mainly be adding salty water with a bit of chlorine in it, and you needed tons of it. The dedicated liquid chlorine for pools is usually the better deal, and it doesn't contain additives.

Of course i've got the worst of the algae colours apparently. Black.

So I've been reading over here: Black Algae

And I guess I maintain slam and do all that too? Much thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you post some close ups of the black stuff? Can you scrape if off with your finger nails? And when squished, it ends up greenish?

Don’t be disheartened by the algae if some of it is black algae- just takes more aggressive scrubbing & maintaining an elevated fc level after slam is completed. Many see a vast improvement during the slam process with daily brushing.
Some have had good results with spraying it directly with liquid chlorine using a garden sprayer as well. Older plaster finishes are usually affected the worst.

Don’t be disheartened by the algae if some of it is black algae- just takes more aggressive scrubbing & maintaining an elevated fc level after slam is completed. Many see a vast improvement during the slam process with daily brushing.
Some have had good results with spraying it directly with liquid chlorine using a garden sprayer as well. Older plaster finishes are usually affected the worst.
I read direct rubbing trichlor? Tablets into stainless steel scrubbed algae is the plan b after elevating fc for awhile.

Can I just do that now?

If one of the Australian boys turns up, what are trichlor tablets called in Australia? (edit: they're called trichlor tablets ya dedsht, lol ignore sry)

Plentiful ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mgtfp
Let's confirm black algae first. Try the fingernail test. There are some falls alarms like copper staining which can look similar, but require different treatment.

When buying trichlor tabs, make sure it's just that. None of that multi action nonsense with copper additives etc.

& you don’t need to buy a whole bunch - just 1 or 2 for now. They usually sell them in individual wrappers in the US. Not sure where u are.
Or just go with the liquid chlorine in a little pump garden sprayer - just be sure to rinse it out when you’re done each time so it doesn’t get gunked up/messed up.
Pretty easy- just pour it in the pool & rinse her out real good.
For now just keeping with slam level fc & aggressive brushing will certainly help.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pshawman and mgtfp
So latest test results are in log. Should I be balancing or anything besides keeping that FC level way up?

Someone said 16 which sounded good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support