So many questions

Swimming401

May 17, 2020
Rhode Island
Hi all. I am very much a pool novice. So here’s one of my many-to-come posts. Thank you all for any help. I did my best to add specs to my signature. I would like to do my own testing, probably will go with the TFP-100 and than I’ll have a bunch more questions:) but, for now, I’ll be off to the pool store since I have to have this pool up and running by the weekend.

1) as far as my filter pump, does that stay plugged in/running 24/7?

2) I’ve read some things about upgrading the pump. What are the pros of doing this?

3) my pool brand (Bestway) sells a surface skimmer. Can anyone talk to me about that..do I need it for a small pool like mine or would a manual regular skimmer do?

4) I am trying to find a vacuum that would work with my pool. Any recommendations?

Before you proceed, first determine if you want to maintain your pool as a seasonal pool. Read the link below. A seasonal pool requires only a basic test kit capable of testing chlorine and pH levels. You add a bit of CYA, dose chlorine/bleach daily, and adjust pH when needed. If you get algae, you simply drain the water and start over. Your only looking at about 4 extra "Units" on your water bill to refill.

If you want better control of your water and some practice for the next pool, go with the TF-100 and a Speedstir (see my sig). A Speedstir will make testing much easier and more consistent and accurate. You'll probably get a couple of seasons out of the test kit. But, with recent shipping delays, you need to order ASAP. Ordering both will get you into free shipping territory.

As for the pump, the amount of time you run it depends on your pool's needs and whether or not you decide to add a skimmer. A couple to a few hours a day should be enough. Proper chemistry, as opposed to pump runtime, is the key to maintaining a safe algae free pool. Read here for more info:

I would recommend a skimmer, but I have little experience with Bestway components. I'll bump you to the top of the queue to get a few more eyes on your post.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Add 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now.
Start 30 ppm CYA granules dissolving.
How are you testing?

Some things to consider with a Bestway pool:
  1. Don't waste your money on those hang on the side skimmers. Get a through wall skimmer and install it. You'll get real skimming action like an inground pool. I did this late last summer and never regretted it.
  2. Get a good test kit and test religiously. That's how you learn your pool and eventually you'll know what it needs by the look and feel of the water and how it uses chlorine.
  3. I'm still in search of the right vacuum. Right now I have a Pool Blaster battery operated pool vac I'll be breaking in tomorrow. We 'll see how that works. A lot of folks will direct you to a robot. Those are great but EXPENSIVE!! I aspire to one one day.
  4. As for your pump... You're going to want a real one before long. Those little cartridge pumps are about the most worthless things. Save your pennies for a real pump and filter. You can see in my sig what I have -- be sure though to get 3/4 to 1 hp pump so you have more options as to cleaners. Mine doesn't have quite enough oomph to run one of those.
An y questions feel free to ask!

Welcome!
there’s no need to go to the pool store- Walmart, Home Depot, lowes & the like have what u need
which right now is some liquid chlorine/bleach & stabilizer(cya)

order your test kit & while you wait for it to arrive do as @mknauss said.
Also use PoolMath to determine these additions the app is free!
You’ll need to add chlorine daily.

about the add on skimmer thing - they’re terrible & for like $35 u could have a real skimmer. Shop around online.
the little filter pumps that come with those pools aren’t real great either & an intex sand filter is a good upgrade that u won’t likely regret That can be used on a larger pool later if u love the pool life & upgrade later (most people do)

Thank you all so much. Hopefully I’m replying to all here. Such a newbie. Just came back from store and found liquid stabilizer (that’s my CYA, right?) and I couldn’t find bleach since pandemic..I was so lost I wish I could’ve sent a picture of the options. I went with liquid shock. Also got some basic ph and chlorine and alkaline test strips. I’m a bit overwhelmed with all of the numbers! I’m not even sure as to the exact gallons, I’ll look in manual again for that. Oh boy. Thanks guys..so helpful!

Oh AND my pool came with this attachment that goes onto the return hose inside of the pool, called chemconnect so I got the 1” chlorine tabs to go into that (it takes 4). How should this factor into my first step? Would that be enough chlorine for the first treatment and I don’t do the shock?

Up to you, but I would not recommend using solid chlorine products like the tablets on a daily basis. Keep those for when you will be away for a few days.

Liquid shock is liquid chlorine is bleach.

Follow what I posted above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm still in search of the right vacuum. Right now I have a Pool Blaster battery operated pool vac I'll be breaking in tomorrow. We 'll see how that works. A lot of folks will direct you to a robot. Those are great but EXPENSIVE!! I aspire to one one day.

My dogs knock the Tucson xeroscaping gravel into my pool all the time, and I find that one of the $25 venturi driven vacuums that hook to the garden hose works well. I don't know if on a 4K gal pool if you would dilute stuff too much that way, but this cheap thing picked up full sized pieces of gravel and smaller. I also use it in the hot tub occasionally, but I have to be quick in that 245 gallon "pool."

I suggest that because I bought it expecting that it would only be good for extremely small spot work, and wouldn't work for the gravel. I was wrong. The one I bought came from wally world.

Make sure you give the liquid stabilizer (CYA) a real good shake before you pour it into the pool. The instructions should read that one gallon will raise CYA by 32 ppm in a 10,000 gallon pool. If this is correct, you will need to add 42 ounces to raise your CYA to 40 ppm. Use a pole with a brush or net to mix it up in the pool water real well while the pump is running. Leave your pump running for 24 hours after adding the CYA.

Check your chlorine/bleach for the percentage or strength. It will probably show 10% sodium hypochlorite. If so, add 12 ounces of chlorine now. This will bring your FC (free chlorine) level to 3 ppm. Add this amount daily...your pool will probably use 2-4 ppm of FC per day.

Once you do those two things, take breath and study up. You can use the test strips, but you really can't trust them. Best to add 12 oz of chlorine daily until you get a more reliable test kit.

Last edited:
Swimming -- you show 3K gallons. Is your pool depth 42" of water?
If so, your pool volume is 4200 gallons.

MK- thank you. I had no idea how to figure that or maybe I copied it over wrong. Yes it’s 16x10x42”

rancho- my gosh these numbers helped a lot. I was so lost as to how many ounces with my volume pool, etc. now being if my gallons are 4200, would that changeany of those numbers you listed?

you are all lifesavers.

rancho- my gosh these numbers helped a lot. I was so lost as to how many ounces with my volume pool, etc. now being if my gallons are 4200, would that changeany of those numbers you listed?

CYA: 58 oz.
10% Chlorine/Bleach: 16 oz.

Ok so if I add 13oz of the bleach now and then follow your instructions with the 58oz ...can I do these 2 things at the same time? Does it matter the order? I will keep pump on for 24hrs. Then I’ll breathe and study up?!
The order doesn't matter. Add 3 ppm (13 oz of 12.5%) daily to keep your FC level up. A couple good articles to read:

Good luck! You've got lots of friends here to help you out...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.