So Many Questions

Cekkk

Jun 29, 2019
Pahrump NV
After nearly a year of living on the property in our RV during renovations, we are finally settling into our new to us home here in Pahrump Nevada. The 16x32' pool needed a new liner, larger filter and a new pump.

The liner was finished about a month ago. The deep end was filled from 9 foot to 6 foot depth. Amazon delivered the new pump and filter well over two weeks ago, and the plumber had wired up the new pump before noticing the case had several cracks on the underside.

Amazon was very good in replacing the broken pump and today it was installed. I do have one pump problem that I hope is due to my not fully understanding the user guide. And another involving the cleaner.

Getting right to the pump without further explanation, I set speed and time for Quick Clean and turned on the pump. it immediately went to prime, ran at higher RPM for 5 minutes and shut down.as described in the Guide. I cannot seem to get it into quick clean. Any ideas why?

I should say that my chemistry is okay according to test strips and that I ran a submersible pump while the original filter system was down, so circulation continued but bottom wasn't cleaned.

More questions about that later.

Welcome to the forum!
Did you review the manual that comes with the Superflo? The Quick Clean I believe has to be set up for the RPM and time you wish it to run. There is a Default schedule built in to the pump. Be sure to set the Clock first.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

As stated in my post, I set the RPM and length of time for QC to run. The Guide said to first turn pump off, set RPM and time and turn pump on. At that point the pump went to Prime for five minutes then resumed default program.

Why did it go to prime instead of the QC program I had set?

The pump has default to Prime every time it is turned on. You can adjust the rpm used and the length of that prime cycle.

Sorry I did not catch that you had set up the QC first.

I would think that if you now went out and pushed QC, it should follow the rpm and time you set for that, if it was stored the first time.

If you have a schedule running, the QC must be set to a higher rpm than what the current schedule is using for it to run. The highest rpm setting wins when there are competing schedules.

I did not get to the pump yesterday as I said I would, but I did today. Simply pushed the QC button while the pump was running at low speed. It had retained my settings and immediately picked up RPMs. At the same time I had rejiggered the Barracuda vac, and it is now operating properly.

As both the pump and filter were out of service for a week, there is quite a bit of Mojave desert on the floor of the pool. But that vacuum is scooping it up quickly. I'm surprised at how efficient it is.

I'm a little concerned about the water chemistry. I'm getting good readings on the test strips, and wonder if things are as simple as that. I had over the course of last week added nearly a gallon of muriatic acid. But for the last several days, nothing but the chlorine tablets in the two floats that I have in the pool.

Is it overkill to have two floats with the chlorine tablets in that pool?

I'm getting good readings on the test strips, and wonder if things are as simple as that. I had over the course of last week added nearly a gallon of muriatic acid. But for the last several days, nothing but the chlorine tablets in the two floats that I have in the pool.

Is it overkill to have two floats with the chlorine tablets in that pool?
No it is not that simple. Test strips are junk and not to be trusted. You need to invest in one of the recommended test kits: Test Kits Compared
And then maintain your FC above the minimum for your CYA at all times: FC/CYA Levels

Given your location, continual use of trichlor tablets is a losing proposition due to the CYA build up, lack of substantial rain, and long pool season.
I suggest you read up on the chemistry in Pool School, starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a quick follow-up. I purchased and received the Taylor 2006 test kit. Things seem to be well in hand. I may not have as much problem as some in our climate as we have a full cover that is operated electrically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.