West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We had a small pool party yesterday with some friends from the neighborhood. Our extended quarantine family. I made pizza’s on the egg which were amazing. Now that I have found the right flour. Caputo 00 Pizzaria flour. Making the dough is much more fun and easier. Just ordered a 55lb bag so lots of pizza in the future.

So here is my quandary. Cooking a pizza in the egg at about 550 degrees takes about 11 minutes and turns out great. But you have to wait 11 minutes and need to set up the egg. Do I go out an buy one of those Ooni koda ovens that burn at 900 degrees and cook a pizza in 90 seconds? Speed and convenience is definitely a plus. However, there is a certain pleasure in sitting with a glass of wine while the pizza cooks.

So all you pizza cookers out there, what do I do?

Never cooked a pizza on a green egg, we use the regular ol' oven. But most of the enjoyment of pizza night is milling around the kitchen and chatting with everyone while we wait for a pie to come out. Then we let it cool for a few minutes, slice it up, everyone takes a slice, and we begin the wait on pie #2.

I vote for waiting on the pie and enjoying the experience.

--Jeff

Anybody who is used to 90 second pizza is cooking theirs in the microwave and you should NOT be asking microwavers for cooking advice.

Is your hot pocket hot ? Is more of an acceptable question for them.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I will stick with just using the egg for now. I will experiment with different temps to see if it goes faster when I need it to. But I think I like the time to enjoy the experience.

Which really sucks, because I was looking forward to a new toy!!!!

I can't imagine a 90 second pizza will taste right. Part of cooking it slower is to allow the flavors to blend.. especially if you the like to use fresh tomatoes/basil and let create its own sauce.. 90 sec @900 deg I would have a brown crust and burnt tomatoes, singed basil and I'm sure the mozzarella would have ignited in protest.

I think I will stick with just using the egg for now. I will experiment with different temps to see if it goes faster when I need it to. But I think I like the time to enjoy the experience.

Which really sucks, because I was looking forward to a new toy!!!!
The temp you should be cooking the pizza at depends on the hydration of the dough.
There are calculators online that tells you the amount of water/flour/yeast ration and the resulting hydration percentage.
The Neapolitan pizzas that cook at 800+ are made differently than ones cooked at 500.
I use my Kamado Joe for pizzas but have been told the eggs are good but not the best for cooking pizzas. I don’t cook enough pizzas to justify a separate oven for cooking them though :)

I’ve been considering something like this. I just don’t know whether to go with the gas grill (convenience) or kettle (true wood fire) version. I suspect there’s something out there for BGE.

Anybody who is used to 90 second pizza is cooking theirs in the microwave and you should NOT be asking microwavers for cooking advice.

Is your hot pocket hot ? Is more of an acceptable question for them.
😄

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.