So confused.

I hate to think that you're coming away from TFP feeling like you're not getting the help you need. While sometimes people can be short with answers, please remember that those people are sometimes answering many questions every day, and the bottom line is that if you follow the directions exactly, you WILL see results. You've been talking to the actual king of TFP, Dave is the founder of these forums and has been around for many years helping people every day. There's no reason to doubt him, and your pool is not any different than the thousands of other pools he's assisted in turning from green to sparkling clear over the years.

There simply isn't a green pool that can't be fixed by following SLAM process exactly. It's really very simple, test and add chlorine 3 or more times per day to SLAM level for your CYA level. Brush often, and MAINTAIN SLAM level FC till you pass the 3 exit criteria. This works, promise.

Now, that being said there could be some factors that cause a hiccup or slow progress. Normally it's that the pool owner isn't testing and adding chlorine often enough. 3 times a day is the minimum, but if you can do it 4+ times a day or even more often, that will help speed up the process. Or, perhaps the pool owner isn't brushing to break up the biofilm on the algae that is on the pool walls. Or, perhaps you've got an incorrect result on your CYA level. Or, the pool has places for algae to hide that need cleaning/brushing such as lights or stairs, tiles, etc. There is always some reason a pool doesn't respond to SLAM, you just need to sort out what's happening with your pool and correct that.

It also isn't something that happens quickly, so don't expect it to. It can take days to weeks to successfully SLAM, and if you let up or stop before the process is complete you will get algae again. No one wants your pool back to perfect as much as you do, but TFP is a close second. So just keep on keeping on, and also stop testing your other levels while you're SLAMming. Just test FC, and CC if you wish till you get water that is super clear. None of the other things will you adjust while you're SLAM, so why test them?

Hope this helps, and hope you are seeing some improvement!

Reactions: Flynnranch
I hate to think that you're coming away from TFP feeling like you're not getting the help you need. While sometimes people can be short with answers, please remember that those people are sometimes answering many questions every day, and the bottom line is that if you follow the directions exactly, you WILL see results. You've been talking to the actual king of TFP, Dave is the founder of these forums and has been around for many years helping people every day. There's no reason to doubt him, and your pool is not any different than the thousands of other pools he's assisted in turning from green to sparkling clear over the years.

There simply isn't a green pool that can't be fixed by following SLAM process exactly. It's really very simple, test and add chlorine 3 or more times per day to SLAM level for your CYA level. Brush often, and MAINTAIN SLAM level FC till you pass the 3 exit criteria. This works, promise.

Now, that being said there could be some factors that cause a hiccup or slow progress. Normally it's that the pool owner isn't testing and adding chlorine often enough. 3 times a day is the minimum, but if you can do it 4+ times a day or even more often, that will help speed up the process. Or, perhaps the pool owner isn't brushing to break up the biofilm on the algae that is on the pool walls. Or, perhaps you've got an incorrect result on your CYA level. Or, the pool has places for algae to hide that need cleaning/brushing such as lights or stairs, tiles, etc. There is always some reason a pool doesn't respond to SLAM, you just need to sort out what's happening with your pool and correct that.

It also isn't something that happens quickly, so don't expect it to. It can take days to weeks to successfully SLAM, and if you let up or stop before the process is complete you will get algae again. No one wants your pool back to perfect as much as you do, but TFP is a close second. So just keep on keeping on, and also stop testing your other levels while you're SLAMming. Just test FC, and CC if you wish till you get water that is super clear. None of the other things will you adjust while you're SLAM, so why test them?

Hope this helps, and hope you are seeing some improvement!
I appreciate you helping me out.
I started out this process on August 25th, it took a few days to get organized, (proper test kit, reading and re reading instructions..) Ever since then I felt like I was following the instructions, going as far as to test the pool every couple of hours and treating each time per the recommendations on the APP, etc. I had changed out the sand in the filter, removed the stairs from the pool during the process, did whatever I could and was still scratching my head.
Originally used bleach from dollar general (a lot) to find out that it may not be ideal, switched to home depot 10% and saw somewhat better results, then the handle broke off the top of the multiport valve, went ahead and almost killed myself trying to get the stairs out of the pool, lost the brush head in the green water(had to get a new one) and then came out one morning to see the water level way down due to a leak in a pipe.
My frustration was real, looking at the reply to my cry for help and being in tears after reading it was not on the top 100 things to do that day. And trust me, I am not a cryer.
During this time, I used a bottle of DPD powder and almost a whole bottle of titrating agent. Definitely felt that I was missing something, not doubting that the method would work. And then I became concerned that if I did get it right, then all of this work would be in vain if I could not maintain all of the correct levels.
Yesterday I put in two gallons of bleach, the most that I have ever added and NO, it wasn't the advised amount, but finally I got to my SLAM level, and this morning it is still high.
Somewhere in there I wasn't reading something correctly, I am thinking the CYA numbers are wrong. This is all new to me, the most I have ever done is try to use the test strips, and didn't have a clue as to what I was even doing. This is why I was asking for HELP in any direction, to figure what I was doing wrong. The only change in the pool has been that the water has gone from a pea green to a cloudy lighter green. Can only see about a foot and a half into the water.
I was to the point that it felt like the (apparently wrong) decision had to be made wether to keep throwing money at it, or drain it to see what I may be missing and start scrubbing from the bottom up.
Thanks for reaching out, the last thing on my mind is bailing out when I see so many people on here genuinely trying to solve others problems.

Good morning.

I haven’t been able to read this thread beginning to end this morning, but I just saw that you’re struggling and wanted to offer some encouragement. The SLAM really does work, but with a thick green pool and our (miserable) Texas heat, it can be a battle. All that algae that you’re trying so hard to kill is trying it’s best to reproduce, and sometimes it does it faster than we can replenish chlorine. Algae loves warm water.

There really isn’t a better way than the TFP way to get your pool clean. A SWCG will help you maintain it after the SLAM is done if you want to go that route. I’m very glad to have one.

I saw that you got your ladder or steps out, and that’s good because you removed a possible algae haven. It may be mentioned earlier in the thread, so I apologize, but is it possible that you’ve got more substantial debris like rotting leaves on the bottom of the pool? Those will hinder a SLAM because they “distract” the chlorine from the algae, so to speak.

You’ve found the right place for help. Please stick it out even if it’s hard. It will be best for getting that pool into shape for your kiddos. (And the good thing about the miserable Texas heat is that there’s still some swimming season left.)

Now this discouraged mom needs to go see if she can gets some help addressing the broken A/C. I am thankful we have a clean pool to cool off in thanks to TFP. You can get there!

Good morning.

I haven’t been able to read this thread beginning to end this morning, but I just saw that you’re struggling and wanted to offer some encouragement. The SLAM really does work, but with a thick green pool and our (miserable) Texas heat, it can be a battle. All that algae that you’re trying so hard to kill is trying it’s best to reproduce, and sometimes it does it faster than we can replenish chlorine. Algae loves warm water.

There really isn’t a better way than the TFP way to get your pool clean. A SWCG will help you maintain it after the SLAM is done if you want to go that route. I’m very glad to have one.

I saw that you got your ladder or steps out, and that’s good because you removed a possible algae haven. It may be mentioned earlier in the thread, so I apologize, but is it possible that you’ve got more substantial debris like rotting leaves on the bottom of the pool? Those will hinder a SLAM because they “distract” the chlorine from the algae, so to speak.

You’ve found the right place for help. Please stick it out even if it’s hard. It will be best for getting that pool into shape for your kiddos. (And the good thing about the miserable Texas heat is that there’s still some swimming season left.)

Now this discouraged mom needs to go see if she can gets some help addressing the broken A/C. I am thankful we have a clean pool to cool off in thanks to TFP. You can get there!
Thank you! That has helped a bunch!!
I don't believe there is any leaves on the bottom, we don't have any trees near it unfortunately, I am so perplexed by where this stuff is hiding. The bottom has been vacuumed and there didn't appear to be anymore dark green or solids coming out of the pool. I loved my SWG before, as it at least will help refresh the chlorine when I am unable to be here to do it. Really hope that you get some help with your A/C, it is something that I have had to troubleshoot quite often so if I can help please let me know!
You have brightened my day, and I will battle on, thanks again.

You just brightened my day, too. Thanks.

I saw that you switched from grocery store bleach to Home Depot. I think that’s more economical in my part of Texas. Are you using the HDX Chlorinating liquid that’s 10% strength? That’s what we use to SLAM, and we buy it four cases at once because the price drops to 8.98 per box that way. You just want to make sure you get the freshest boxes. There’s a five number date code stamped on them: YYDDD where the first two numbers should be 19 for this year, and the next three indicate how far into the year the product was made. 001 would be January 1, 182 just about the beginning of July. You’d want something in the 200’s by now. I hope that makes sense. Maintaining your chlorine at shock level as frequently as you can is the best way to get ahead of that algae at this point. Keep it up!

You just brightened my day, too. Thanks.

I saw that you switched from grocery store bleach to Home Depot. I think that’s more economical in my part of Texas. Are you using the HDX Chlorinating liquid that’s 10% strength? That’s what we use to SLAM, and we buy it four cases at once because the price drops to 8.98 per box that way. You just want to make sure you get the freshest boxes. There’s a five number date code stamped on them: YYDDD where the first two numbers should be 19 for this year, and the next three indicate how far into the year the product was made. 001 would be January 1, 182 just about the beginning of July. You’d want something in the 200’s by now. I hope that makes sense. Maintaining your chlorine at shock level as frequently as you can is the best way to get ahead of that algae at this point. Keep it up!
:)Yes it was the Home Depot one that we switched too, I didn't realize the price reduction was at four cases, for some reason I have been picking up 3 at a time, and it really is more economical than store bleach. Thanks for deciphering the numbers on the boxes, I couldn't quite figure that out. Making progress here, for the fist time I can actually see the test bottle when I reach down in the water, and we have a blue tinge going on with the shock level staying above SLAM overnight. It did drop a bit but I know it is getting closer! Have a great day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.