Sneaking a Pool Test

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
A family member has heard the TFP story but still uses pucks. So while visiting this past weekend I snuck a sample of water in a plastic water bottle to bring home for testing. They have kids who have lots of friends.

So the question...will the results be impacted by sitting in a plastic water bottle for 24 hours before testing? It's been out of the sun and capped the entire time but was in the car for a few hours before we left town while it was 100 degrees outside. Since then it's been inside the house out of the sun. The bottle is about 2/3 full if that matters.

Thanks

I guess they aren't open to you testing their water in front of them? The CL may be slightly off, and who knows, they may have algae consuming their Chlorine. It is best to use a fresh sample. Can I ask you...what is the purpose? Do you want to educate them about the TFPC method? Or are you worried about swimming in their water?

I don't believe your results will be valid after 24hrs. I certainly wouldn't trust them.

Unsolicited advice: don't do this. You say they've heard the TFP story but still choose to use pucks? I'd suggest respecting their choice. Sneakily testing their water is unlikely to result in them being swayed. It'll just put them more off the TFP method. Just my opinion, but we've seen this on the site before.

Fairly acidic for a TA that high. I bet a fresh sample would have shown a lower pH, possibly off scale on the low end. That would be consistent with trichlor/dichlor use.

Other than that, the more permanent components of the water (CYA and CH) are well within manageable levels.

Well, CYA is getting high and that FC is clearly too low (although could be skewed by the delay in testing). Surprised it has not started turning green yet ... maybe in a few more weeks :D

And I agree the pH could have been lower than what you tested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't be surprised if the FC was about 3-4ppm or so. I once took a water sample and deliberately left it in a covered glass beaker for a few days to dechlorinate it naturally. In the first 24hrs it only lost 0.5ppm or so.

A 3-4% FC/CYA ratio isn't great but it'll keep algae at bay for a while. This is a classic pool - just enough chlorine to hold down the algae reproduction rates enough to keep the water somewhat clear. But, when something goes south (FC bottoms out, CYA gets too high, etc) that's when it'll get cloudy thereby forcing a trip to the pool store. They'll be told their levels look great and all they need to do is throw in some shock and algaecide and it'll be as good as new in 24-48hours. Thus begins the pool store revolving door shuffle....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.