Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am replacing a regular light switch for a zwave light switch for our pool lights. The currently switch does not have a ground or a neutral wire.

Does my drawing below make sense for what i need to do? What specific wire (gauge or type) should i be using for the neutral wire and then the ground?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you are likely going to have issues with the zwave signal making it through that metal box. The connection to the switch neutral should be the neutral attached to the GFCI. I assume the GFCI is protection is coming from the GFCI outlet mounted on the right side of the box. The line should also be coming from said GFCI protected circuit.

Unfortunately, you are likely going to have issues with the zwave signal making it through that metal box. The connection to the switch neutral should be the neutral attached to the GFCI. I assume the GFCI is protection is coming from the GFCI outlet mounted on the right side of the box. The line should also be coming from said GFCI protected circuit.

Thank you. That makes more sense.

Luckily the metal box is about 5 feet away from the zwave receiver (with 1 exterior stucco wall). The zwave receiver on the Pi is against an exterior wall across the alley from the box. I knew there would be some interference but the 5 feet gives me hope.

I can't leave it at that. If you have issues you could mount a plastic enclosure to the outside of that box such that the receiver for the switch is not obstructed by metal. You may be able to achieve success with that. The other thing that could help here is if there are any glass windows in that stucco wall.

Thank you!

After reviewing the box again it appears that the 2 white wires going to the GFCI outlet leave me no room as i dont want 2 wires on the same screw.... 1 goes from the GFCI to the bus on the left. The other goes from the GFCI to the 120v to 12v transformer for the light. With that said, can i just tie into the 2 white wires with the yellow cap on the left side as that goes to the GFCI outlet?

EDIT: did not see your post regarding the plastic enclosure, good idea! And yes there is a window there so I do have some wiggle room with how the zwave mesh network works.

Edit edit... Yellow cap, not red.

Last edited:
Hold on is that transformer for the lights by chance?

EDIT: If it is then you should switch before the load so hook that white wire to the neutral bus as you originally pictured it and the hot wire from the breaker to the line side of the switch. The load side of the switch should then go to the GFCI receptacle line side.

Yes that is the transformer.

Got it.. So basically from a connection standpoint I am removing the switch, hookup up the new switch and the adding a wire from the new switch to the neutral bus, and then same thing for ground. Which is what the drawing originally detailed.

Thank you.

Yes that is the transformer.

Got it.. So basically from a connection standpoint I am removing the switch, hookup up the new switch and the adding a wire from the new switch to the neutral bus, and then same thing for ground. Which is what the drawing originally detailed.

Thank you.

When I tapped into the existing line/load wires and used the neutral bus on the left the light did not work. I switched the neutral to the yellow nut with 2 white wires and then when testing noticed the GFCI was tripped (granted I never saw it on before, pool is a few weeks old and I never used it). After resetting the GFCI the switch got power and is working normally.

The zwave aspect us working as expected as well with the door closed.

Thank you for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.