Slightly higher pressure on brand new filters... normal?

Nov 19, 2014
Austin, TX
C-4030 Hayward Filter (I think... it's a 4 filter in ground system, but I often get the size wrong)

Bit the bullet and replaced my old OEM Hayward filters with new Pleatco filters based on a bunch of research and $75 lower price. Haven't had them in long enough to review them, but running into a weird issue.

When I put in the new filters I noticed that my default PSI at 100% pump speed is about 2 PSI higher than it was with the Hayward OEMs. Those OEMs maintained that filter pressure more or less throughout their life whenever they were cleaned.

So I'm wondering if this is to be expected or if I should be concerned? Do brand new filters often run a little high until their saturated? Does the different material in the Pleatcos have more resistance than the Haywards? I dutifully cleaned out the filter body and all the parts (hose, wet dry vac) before reinstalling everything, and was pretty rigorous on reassembly (pushed down the cap fullt, etc). It's running fine, it's just that the PSI is a little high.

Not a huge issue, but as someone who dutifully maintains my pool kit I like to make sure I know why things are happening. I can pull the whole thing apart again, though I really dont want to... :)

Thanks!
Rick

What is the clean pressure? If it was 2 psi before and now 4 psi, I would be concerned. But if it used to be 15 and now 17, not so much. The filter material may be just slightly finer and thus will create more back pressure.

Thanks for the reply.

Default pressure with the OEM filters was always 20psi. Currently running around 22psi with the new Pleatco filters. This is off a Hayward 3400VSP running at 100%. It's not a huge difference, I just don't have any experience with brand new filters and/or a different material to know.

It's also worth noting that I rarely/never run the system at 100%, both because it's unnecessary and because it's super inefficient on the power side. I basically switch between 50% and 80% depending on time of day.

rt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.