Willamina

Aug 21, 2021
Chalfont, PA
Hi all- new homeowner & new above ground pool owner here! 👋 My FC was 0 so I decided to SLAM. Based on the CYA chart, my shock FC is 20. Does that mean I should be maintaining a 20 FC throughout the slam?

That’d be a TON of bleach. I’ve already gone through 10 (121oz) jugs. I’ve been more or less maintaining the FC at 10-11 FC after the initial shock (yesterday morning). I am using the FAS-DPD testing for the FC. Oh- also note my CC has been .5 or zero since starting the SLAM.

Any feedback/tips appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
How does your water look? Was the only reason you are following the SLAM Process is that you measured 0 FC?
And yes, if you need to SLAM, you maintain the SLAM level FC by testing FC and adding liquid chlorine every few hours, at least 3-4 times per day until you pass the three criteria outlined in the SLAM Process
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
How does your water look? Was the only reason you are following the SLAM Process is that you measured 0 FC?
And yes, if you need to SLAM, you maintain the SLAM level FC by testing FC and adding liquid chlorine every few hours, at least 3-4 times per day until you pass the three criteria outlined in the SLAM Process
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Water is clear. Yes, I decided to SLAM because of 0 FC and because it had a higher CC. Wow- keeping a 20 FC is high! I *might* be ok now because CC has been low or zero but I know I have to do an overnight chlorine lock test to ensure it’s good to go. I will read up on the ABC’s link that you provided. Thanks!

Reactions: mknauss
Water is clear. Yes, I decided to SLAM because of 0 FC and because it had a higher CC. Wow- keeping a 20 FC is high! I *might* be ok now because CC has been low or zero but I know I have to do an overnight chlorine lock test to ensure it’s good to go. I will read up on the ABC’s link that you provided. Thanks!
Unfortunately after doing the OCLT last night, my FC dropped from 20 to 12. There is rain coming later today and this weekend, should I continue to SLAM or wait until rain has all passed?

Continue on with SLAM Process replenishing fc as often as you can safely, taking lightning into consideration.
Be sure to scrub/ clean out all nooks & crannies like ladders, steps, skimmer throats & lights. Algae loves to hide.
Also filling out your signature completely really helps everyone help you properly & quickly. You can see other people’s as an example by turning your phone sideways if you’re on a mobile device.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.