SLAMing and trouble getting CC below 1.0

Ok, so tomorrow (saturday) I'm going to clean the filter, the cover and raise the chlorine level like you recommended. It's chilly here in Minnesota these days and this weekend the evening temps are going to drop into the 30s with highs in the 40s. I understand lower temps slow the growth of algae, but will this have any affect on the FC and CC in the pool? Also we plan to officially close the pool for winter on Oct `13th. Just wondering if I need to be concerned about having high FC levels in the pool at closing time. I'm concerned and wondering if this will cause damage to our vinyl liner and pool equipment (for having high chlorine levels for extended period of time)?

Your going to be fine with the high FC levels. This is one time shot at elevated shock level. Trying to get rid of the CC's. Also it should drift down somewhat faster. leave the cover off the pool to help.
When you close you want your water temp below 60 and your FC at shock level.
Hope this works !!
One other question. How old is your R0003 reagent ? ?

We had just purchased our TF-100 test this July. And have been using it regularly since then.
Funny you ask the question about the R0003 reagent, because that thought did cross my mind too, wondering if maybe it was old. But it has worked well and appeared to be accurate during previous testings this summer. Would hope that this product wouldnt go bad that soon after purchasing.

Update: We had some unexpected activities come up in our schedule this weekend, so unfortunately we did not have time to do a thorough clean to our filter like I intended. The pool cover, however is clean (to the human eye that we can see). We did raise the FC in our pool like recommended; however unfortunately our CC is STILL at 1.5. Our FC was at 32. Went down to 28.5 by the end of the day and CC at 1.0. This morning was at 28 (lost only .5 overnight).CC was back at 1.5 this morning. The air temp has been 50s in the day, 30s at night. Pool temp is now around 54 degrees (burrr). Still brushing the pool daily (this is getting really old). The pool still looks cleans/clear, aside from the leaves that have blown in their with leaving the pool cover open during these windy days. Removing leaves and debris daily. Still at a loss for this CC level. I have ordered a new R-0003 Reagent, just to make sure. It should come in a few days.
Aside from still needing to clean the filter (which we really dont think needs it,but plan to do to make sure), we cant think of anything else we should be doing. We also did clean and assess our SWG cell in August and that seemed to look just fine too.
Thinking we may end up closing the pool without this mystery solved and hoping next spring it'll miraculously be better (wishful thinking). Any other thoughts/suggestions??? Feeling very frustrated right about now....

That's a bummer. I thought the high shock level may take care if it, but it didn't.
It's really bizarre to say the least. Try cleaning the filter and see what happens. After that I don't know.

You've probably looked through every nook and cranny already, but I just thought I'd mention this spring during opening I found some algae hiding behind our skimmer weir flap attached to the foam that keeps it floating. I may not have seen it there if I hadn't stirred up the skimmer water while cleaning up a bit of mold that was growing above the water line in there.

I'm not sure if that was causing my high CC then or not, as the next day was the first day I had time to let the pool breath and get some sun, and the CC went away quickly after that.

Where do you store your test kit? My tube was dirty from being stored outside. Even though I was rinsing the tube before testing, I would get CC all the time due to (not visible) residue in the tube. Keep some chlorinated water in the tube for an hour and let it sit. Then dump the water, rinse the tube, and try a new test.

Where do you store your test kit? My tube was dirty from being stored outside. Even though I was rinsing the tube before testing, I would get CC all the time due to (not visible) residue in the tube. Keep some chlorinated water in the tube for an hour and let it sit. Then dump the water, rinse the tube, and try a new test.

We store it in our office (where no direct sun light). I rinse it out and air dry after each use. Will try what you recommended above.
Our skimmers do not show any signs of algae either (as previous writer inquired).

I do not know much about algaecides and polyquat 60, but doing a little reading on this site it sounds like some people may add polyquat when they close their pools for the winter. Just wondering, do you think would it be worth while for us to try adding an algaecide or polyquat at this point? I dont want to be throwing something in just to throw something in, but just wondering if could this help? (Or could this do more harm then good?) If it may be worth a try, any thoughts on dosing? Our pool is roughly 37,000gals.

UPDATE:GOOD NEWS! PASSED THE TEST! CC IS ZERO!!!
I followed the advice of Buzzard302 in cleaning the test tube. THANK YOU!! It worked!!!
I cant believe this was something so simple that I completely overlooked. I always rinsed out the tube with warm or hot tap water and assumed this was good enough. Apparently it was not. Will not make that same mistake again.

Anyways, thank you to all of you for your help and advice!! It was/is so appreciated!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.