SLAMing an abondoned pool

Cya has to be tested with your back to the bright sun and the sample waist high in the shade of your body.
Tested again today in this way. when it gets to 60, black dot disappears for about 2 seconds then vaguely visible again. At 55, it's not visible even after 10 seconds. So is this 60 or 55?
Since CYA seems no longer problem, plan to vacuum thorough and refill again tomorrow to reduce CYA a bit and then add more borax to get PH to right range and then SLAM on Sunday.

11th day of SLAM. Looks good. But how to remove brown stain on vinyl wall?

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_180919.jpg
    IMG_20191003_180919.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20191003_133431.jpg
    IMG_20191003_133431.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20191002_110908.jpg
    IMG_20191002_110908.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 24
Some have found Magic Eraser can remove stains on vinyl liners. Be aware that it can take off the print / color too. So test before doing it in large areas.

I've had a pool this year that had the same brown junk around the top edge. I just let the water clear up completely got all my chemicals in line and eventually it got lighter and lighter and lighter as we brushed it with nothing added to it.

I've had a pool this year that had the same brown junk around the top edge. I just let the water clear up completely got all my chemicals in line and eventually it got lighter and lighter and lighter as we brushed it with nothing added to it.
Sounds reasonable. But want to address it before winter. How about bleach?

Poked a hole on liner when brushing. Posted a sepearate posting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pic today. Water clear but need sand filter to slowly work out the gray residual.

Certainly looking like its improving - but don't take your foot off the SLAM process early otherwise you'll undo your good work. That water isn't clear. Keep SLAMing until you pass the 3 tests (1 of which is the water being clear). Don't skip any steps, or parts of the process - like brushing or maintaining FC at SLAM level.

When the water is 'clear', you should be able to see the heads/tails on a coin when it's sitting on the bottom in the deep end :)

ps: if you havent already, the use of a filter/skimmer sock can help to remove really fine material before it goes into (and passes through) the sand filter. But I suspect you still have some SLAMing to go by the look of that photo...

Last edited:
Certainly looking like its improving - but don't take your foot off the SLAM process early otherwise you'll undo your good work. That water isn't clear. Keep SLAMing until you pass the 3 tests (1 of which is the water being clear). Don't skip any steps, or parts of the process - like brushing or maintaining FC at SLAM level.

When the water is 'clear', you should be able to see the heads/tails on a coin when it's sitting on the bottom in the deep end :)
Thanks. Certainly don't want to repeat the 2 week effort. I think it's not clear because the dead algae is not filtered out. Are you suffering there are algae still alive? Should I add DE to speed up filtering?

I think it's not clear because the dead algae is not filtered out. Are you suffering there are algae still alive? Should I add DE to speed up filtering?

The only way to know if you still have some live algae in there is to do the 'OCLT' - overnight chlorine loss test (detailed in the SLAM page).
I have no experience with DE, but I do with the filter sock (added a PS to my earlier post as a later edit).
I'd be following the SLAM process and steps to a T, and using a filter sock to help the process a long. First time I did a SLAM I didn't follow it exactly and it took a while too... about 3 weeks from memory. (that was about 18 months ago though - 100% algae free since then!)

The only way to know if you still have some live algae in there is to do the 'OCLT' - overnight chlorine loss test (detailed in the SLAM page).
I have no experience with DE, but I do with the filter sock (added a PS to my earlier post as a later edit).
I'd be following the SLAM process and steps to a T, and using a filter sock to help the process a long. First time I did a SLAM I didn't follow it exactly and it took a while too... about 3 weeks from memory. (that was about 18 months ago though - 100% algae free since then!)
OK. Will try skimer socks tomorrow. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.