SLAM taking too long!

dozer11

Jun 2, 2014
Thompson, ND
I’m beyond frustrated. Been slamming for 3 weeks now and we still can’t swim. Summers in ND are short enough and we are having hot weather and my pool is still cloudy. I used my K2006 test kit snd TA and PH were all within proper range to start the slam. I didn’t write the numbers down (this is my 7th opening with SLAM and I felt good about it. I learned my lesson. CYA was at 40. It’s down to 30 now because we have had to add water due to a slow leak. I bought a bottle of clarifier I want to try once my chlorine level is down to 4, as instructions say. I have been using the TFP method for 7 years now and I’ve never opened this late. I’ve kept the chlorine at SLAM levels really consistently 2-3 time a day adding chlorine, but hadn’t been able to brush and vacuum daily because I have a new baby and not that much time. I have passed the OCLT. I don’t think I have active algae. It’s just cloudy and that’s why I’m leaning towards clarifier so we can get in the pool ASAP.

I slammed to 16 with the cya of 40.

We changed out pool filter sand and also added DE several times.

I seeing improvement but it’s slow. I can see the bottom of the pool when I put my vacuum down there.

I’m looking for encouragement and hopefully advice on clarifier. I know it isn’t recommended but I plan on using it to open only and not regular use of it.

Attachments

• B0627C43-E2C0-41C1-9400-507DF7F53344.jpeg
    B0627C43-E2C0-41C1-9400-507DF7F53344.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 22
  • CA3B309B-D001-49ED-A3CF-406858232D7E.jpeg
    CA3B309B-D001-49ED-A3CF-406858232D7E.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 23
Well, we certainly understand life's priorities keeping you from the pool. But it's inevitable that a lack of brushing and/or vacuuming could delay a SLAM Process. Three weeks is a long time though for an AGP like that. You don't have a ladder or steps still in there do you?

Man, this breaks my heart. 21K is a big AGP. I'm not sure how big your sand filter is, but I suspect that the sand filter is your constraint. Sand filters are the slowest to clear a pool. Many AGPs have smaller sand filters (maybe update your signature with the model of sand filter).

I have a 30K pool and my slam took 1.5 weeks and I have a 2.4sq.ft (big at 200-250lbs of sand) sand filter and 30K pool.

Avoid the clarifiers. Backwash often (when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure backwash). The more often you catch this the better.

I believe it is just the size of the filter, the fact that it is sand, and the time that it runs above 25% before you catch it that is causing the delay in clearing. Stay the course, deep keel.

You Got This Good Luck Today GIF by MOODMAN

The sand filter is 22” I believe. I don’t mess with that much, it’s my husbands area. We are backwashing daily I would say and adding DE after backwashing. Verrry slow progress is being made but I’m just ready to use the dang thing and stop pouring bleach into it all day long.

The sand filter is 22” I believe. I don’t mess with that much, it’s my husbands area. We are backwashing daily I would say and adding DE after backwashing. Verrry slow progress is being made but I’m just ready to use the dang thing and stop pouring bleach into it all day long.
Sooo, deap breath. I've been where you are.
You Got This Mental Health GIF by YouTube

If you can get your husband sitchiated, update your signature updated with the filter make/model. This is likely a 150lb sand filter. Backwash, then note the pressure after clean. When the pressure rises 25%, backwash, it will go faster if you can catch this point. If your clean pressure is 20psi, if you can catch it and backwash when it gets to 25%, this will go faster.

If you want to know what the end point looks like, click this --> How Clear is TFP Clear?

FC was 13 last night and today at noon.
TA 60
CYA 30

I’m still leaning towards clarifier. It is changing everyday for the better but the chance is very minimal. I need to drop my FC before I add clarifier (according to directions on clarifier bottle)

Clean filter pressure is 12 and we are pretty good at backwashing when it nears 15. Can a person backwash too often?

I have missed it a couple times but I feel like I’ve had it at or above slam level for my CYA a majority of the time. I have decided to try clarifier so that’s why I’m trying to lower the FC to follow the instructions on the bottle of having 1-4 FC when I add the clarifier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no experience using clarifier, so I'm no help to you there. But as long as it is improving every day, I'd say just stay the course and get in and swim. It's likely a heck of a lot clearer than any lake you've ever swum in.

Reactions: dozer11
My $0.02 worth of advice - don't backwash just to backwash daily. Wait for the 25% increase. The dirt in the top of the sand bed in the filter will help to catch more dirt. Use the PSI as an indicator on when to backwash.

Reactions: Decoy205
Yes. It's safe to swim when:

- FC is above minimum and at or below SLAM level for your CYA
- pH is in the 7's
- You can see the bottom of the pool in the deepest part of the water

Reactions: dozer11

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.