Slam questions

Since I have it...and there will be more...I tried adding bleach to the bucket muck. 130oz added and after 1 hr it lightened slightly. I am stirring it every 10 minutes or so. I am sure this is very flawed though; something to play with I guess.

When I added to the pool, I did make some changes in pool math and will continue doing so to try to narrow down what I am working with. I changed the gallons to 15000 instead of 16000 that I have been using. I wanted to raise from 15 to 17 and it said to add 38oz of bleach. Added that amount, circulate for 1 hour and retested at 19. So, gallons is still off or bleach concentration..or both. I have time to mess with it some more.

- - - Updated - - -

I would put chlorine in and see if it bleaches the chlorophyll out, just to be sure. Any luck on getting metal test from pool store to see if metals could be a coissue?

No metals test yet. I got so excited to see a change today that I forgot to go to the store :)

LOL yeah messing a little with the 'bucket ol muck' isn't going to hurt one way, or another just the cost of the added bleach, and a little time. Once the chlorine combines it won't be fighting to kill that algae anymore (so it won't lighten after that point, and more free chlorine would have to be added just like in the pool).

I agree that the accuracy especially if the water/chlorine weren't measured or if your not testing the FC CC levels, etc. isn't going to show you much, if anything, and then the bleach itself diluting the green stuff would lighten it as well. But as long as you're having fun, lol just have at it with your experiment.

Also please be careful with the stirring you will most likely raise the pH from the aeration in the bucket. Between the increased pH and the outgassing of CO2(carbon dioxide) being release it can give off fumes, which can cause your nose and eyes to burn, and you should avoid breathing those fumes.

Be sure and let us know how your experiment turns out :). Have a Nice night.

I just reread chem geeks post here, he actually said to add acid to see if green goes away and that would be indicative of metals in water. He was referring to a sample of pool water not what was cleaned from filter, however sample from pool was not green. I guess easiest way is to take sample to pool store to see if any metals present. But I am still curious to see if chlorine bleaches out chlorophyll and left with just cloudy water. My logic may not be sound though, I do not know.

I just reread chem geeks post here, he actually said to add acid to see if green goes away and that would be indicative of metals in water. He was referring to a sample of pool water not what was cleaned from filter, however sample from pool was not green. I guess easiest way is to take sample to pool store to see if any metals present. But I am still curious to see if chlorine bleaches out chlorophyll and left with just cloudy water. My logic may not be sound though, I do not know.

Right, it was someone else here who mentioned adding bleach to the filter runoff.

I added 130oz of bleach total to the bucket last night which is a lot and before I went to sleep it has lightened up considerably but was still green-ish, much like my pool.

Now add acid see if it clears completely, if it does my guess you have both metal and algae, also can you see in the bucket opaque tiny particles, this would be the algae particles. of course a trip to pool store to test for metals may be the easiest. PS. I th8nk it was I who mentioned adding chlorine as I was thinking bleaching out chlorophyll but rereading chem geeks post I saw he recommended acid. By the way last night what was the drop in FC and CC? I am looking to see if you are passing OCLT. I think even if you have metals at this point finish SLAM then deal with metals but before adding chemicals to deal with metals get more advice from chem geek or another expert. Disclaimer, I am too new at this to pretend I have the answers or any of my advise is correct except listen to the experts here.

Now add acid see if it clears completely, if it does my guess you have both metal and algae, also can you see in the bucket opaque tiny particles, this would be the algae particles. of course a trip to pool store to test for metals may be the easiest. PS. I th8nk it was I who mentioned adding chlorine as I was thinking bleaching out chlorophyll but rereading chem geeks post I saw he recommended acid. By the way last night what was the drop in FC and CC? I am looking to see if you are passing OCLT. I think even if you have metals at this point finish SLAM then deal with metals but before adding chemicals to deal with metals get more advice from chem geek or another expert. Disclaimer, I am too new at this to pretend I have the answers or any of my advise is correct except listen to the experts here.

I forgot to bring my notes with me with the test results. Per post 101 above, I did add around 6pm getting FC up to 19. This morning when I tested it was the same. I do not recall though what it was between 6pm and this morning (I know I tested a few times but did not add any bleach so most likely it was still 19.)

I ran out of acid so I would have to go to the pool store to get more so I can take a sample with me when I go.

Good morning, blivit. It sounds as if you passed the OCLT...repeat tonight to confirm, make sure you know your reading at dark, and test in the a.m. before it's light again.

If your loss is less than 1, go get your metal sequestrant -- jacks or Metal Magic specifically are TFP-recommended, and follow instructions on bottle. That will mean waiting until your FC drops (but don't stay low too long, but also don't shock/slam again for a solid week thereafter for the sequestrant to work right,)

Looking at your clear green pic I am pretty certain you're about to be in the clear ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a gut feeling but I think it's metals. The green looks too clear for algae to me and the pool wouldn't still be green after the first day or so of SLAM. You added a gallon of bleach to what looks like a gallon of water in the bucket, raising the FC in the bucket to 100,000ppm and that is still green!

Tested for metals....sort of.......

Brought a sample in to my local pool store. Their test results are nowhere near what I test at so I guess that just confirms not to use their results (according to everything they test, I am in perfect range lol) They do not test for "metals" directly. Instead, they test sequestrant level. I am familiar with using a sequestrant to remove metals but how does a sequestrant test relate? It said my level for this was low at 4ppm when it should be between 10 and 12. He did recommend I use a metal control chem. They sell Jacks pink stuff so I bought that.

Thoughts? Pool looks the same as yesterday but I haven't cleaned or tested anything yet tonight....getting ready to do that now.

After testing, pool is much clearer. I can actually make out the bottom drain now.

Fc 14.5
Cc 0

Hello.

As mentioned before, I know nothing about the metals, nor how to treat them appropriately If they are in there. So I'm learning from this as well.

But I do suggest holding off on putting the Jack's pink stuff into your pool until someone with more knowledge on the metals subject can better explain, and advise you. There's a lot of folks here who be able to tell you what needs to be, or not to be done. IF metals are in fact present, but unfortunately LOL it isn't me. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have a wonderful day. :).

Wow, that pool store visit was interesting to say the least huh? "They don't test for metals, but they test for sequestrant?" I wonder what they do when someone goes to them with pure water from the source (well) and asks to have it tested? Well, let's press-forward. :)

One of the most important developments is what you said in post #113 about the pool being much clearer. That's a HUGE event, and may be an indication that you and your days of SLAMming may finally be paying-off. I wouldn't consider adding anything right now (other than bleach) until you know for sure the chlorine has done all it can do and the clearing has gotten as good as it can get. We have seen some pool owners come back the next day with amazing transformations overnight simply because the bleach had a wall to break through. When it did ... POW. Clear water. I would recommend continuing the SLAM as originally designed for now.

Wow, that pool store visit was interesting to say the least huh? "They don't test for metals, but they test for sequestrant?" I wonder what they do when someone goes to them with pure water from the source (well) and asks to have it tested? Well, let's press-forward. :)

One of the most important developments is what you said in post #113 about the pool being much clearer. That's a HUGE event, and may be an indication that you and your days of SLAMming may finally be paying-off. I wouldn't consider adding anything right now (other than bleach) until you know for sure the chlorine has done all it can do and the clearing has gotten as good as it can get. We have seen some pool owners come back the next day with amazing transformations overnight simply because the bleach had a wall to break through. When it did ... POW. Clear water. I would recommend continuing the SLAM as originally designed for now.

Definitely interesting. "everything looks really good...how does the water look?" He seemed surprised when I said it was green lol. Their fc test came back at 4ppm but I am testing at 14.5 lol

I picked up the pink stuff mainly because I was surprised they had it and had seen it mentioned here. I can always hold on to it or return it if I do not need it. I haven't added it. I did just add more bleach to get the fc back up.

:goodjob: You're doing the right thing. I wish I had a buck (or even a dime) for every time I heard someone come back and say they couldn't believe the difference in testing results from the pool store to their own tests. It IS amazing. Keep-up the great work, and have a good evening.

Could the OP get a big bucket of the green water and try a smidgeon of the sequestrant in there?

I believe the OP said that the pool water does not look visibly green in the bucket.

I'm sort of sorry I suggested the filter rinse water in the bucket thing in the first place - I was just curious whether it looked like algae (the photo certainly did) and whether the green would fade/change in response to a bit of bleach (it seems perhaps it did). Blivit, please do NOT dump acid into that same bucket with all the bleach that has been added (as someone suggested a few posts ago) - that would be unsafe (bleach plus muriatic acid must be AVOIDED!), as well as uninformative.

I think the real proof of progress is in that pool photo you posted (in the same post as the picture of the filter rinse water) - it really looks noticeably clearer than your first couple of photos. As others have said, finish dealing with algae, and then consider the metals possibility if the pool still has a green tint. If any of your neighbors have pools, perhaps it's worth asking if metals are a known problem in the water in your neighborhood.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.