Getting rid of algae dust without vacuuming to waste?

Steph1400

Jun 7, 2023
Massachusetts
I want to start by saying I’m very new to pools so apologies if dumb questions or if I get anything wrong. We have what I think is dead algae dust that keeps settling into the bottom edges of our pool. We’ve shocked and free chlorine levels are good don’t believe live algae.

When things are settled the pool is very clear. It’s only when the bottom is stirred up that it gets very cloudy. It’s seems too fine for our sand filter to clean out. I’ve been looking into solutions and it seems to always say to vacuum to waste. We really don’t want to do that and end up losing such a significant amount of water so I wanted to see if there are other alternatives?

We’ve used clarifier which didn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve seen flocculant as an option but seems like it can get messy and would still be vacuuming to waste or filter could get gummed up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hey Steph.... what type of filter do you have??
Normally brushing gets schmutz into circulation and allows the filter to pick it up.
Avoid clarifier....it can gum up your filter.
FLOC can be a disaster!

IF you have a sand filter you can try to add a bit of POOL DE to help contain the small stuff-

What are your test results?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Steph1400
Hey Steph.... what type of filter do you have??
Normally brushing gets schmutz into circulation and allows the filter to pick it up.
Avoid clarifier....it can gum up your filter.
FLOC can be a disaster!

IF you have a sand filter you can try to add a bit of POOL DE to help contain the small stuff-

What are your test results?

Maddie :flower:
Yes, we have a Hayward sand filter. I’ll give this a try! Thank you very much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.