SLAM Question - Dead Algea

Jan 1, 2017
Australia
Hi All
Ive had my pool for a while, but finally ready to venture out and manage it myself. So for a green Pool, do I have this right as a high level overview?

Pool Shop method
  1. Shock pool with large granular chlorine dose
  2. Purchase and add algaecide
  3. Purchase and add Floc so dead algea sinks to the bottom
  4. Bypass filter and vacuum dead algae to waste. (white and brown particles.
  5. Balance water with more chemicals. (Stabilizer, Buffer, etc)
SLAM Method
  1. Raise chlorine to a calculated level
  2. Keep at this level until conditions are met (CC under .5, pool clear, minimal chlorine loss overnight)
  3. Let chlorine return to normal levels.
  4. Re-balance water
What I really want to know, is what happens to the dead algae with the SLAM method? Does the constant elevated chlorine just destroy and break down their dead bodies?

Thanks!

During the SLAM your pump/filter is running 24/7 so it gets filtered out. Brushing your pool is also a important part of the SLAM to get all of the algea, dead and alive, into the water so the filter can do it's job.

Kim:kim:

We don't use floc during or after the slam for that every reason. It WILL clog things up good unless you can send it to waste aka outside the pool/filter. It could ruin your cartridge if you vacuum it up into it.

Terribly sorry but still confused.

Why won't they clog the filter without the floc? The same amount of dead algae is in the water right? The floc just makes them sink, making them easier to remove from the pool by vacuuming. Without the floc, the same amount of algea would be in the water, but suspended instead of on the bottom?

Sorry for the silly questions.

Not silly at all!

-Okay so when you use floc it grabs ALL of the dead algae and drops it at once. You will have to have a way to vacuum it OUT of the pool. This uses a LOT of water. You can cut your pipe to make a bypass around the filter so you can vacuum the floc and water OUT of the pool without going through the filter.
-when using the SLAM method your filter works on the deal algae as it dies and comes in contact with the filter. This is a bit at a time. You will need to keep an eye on the filter gauge and clean the filter when the pressure gets 25% over your clean pressure.

Does that help?

FLOC and Clarifier are in essence a glue. It sticks the solids together. When that gets to your filter, especially a cartridge filter, it will clog the pores of the filter mesh and will be impossible to remove completely.
Just the dead algae bodies act like dust, or other solids, and can be cleaned out of the filter media with a stream of water.

Reactions: carnivalday

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I really want to know, is what happens to the dead algae with the SLAM method? Does the constant elevated chlorine just destroy and break down their dead bodies?
P,

Welcome to TFP! We have quite a few from Down Under on this site! You've got some great questions and experts have already weighed in on most of them. As to your question about what happens to the algae? They eventually become completely oxidized. Under normal conditions, the cell wall is broken then the contents disperse into the water and they are eventually broken down to volatile gases like nitrogen and CO2 that evaporate. If you get overloaded with algae and your pool becomes cloudy or green (won't happen if you follow TFP methods) then you end up killing them off with our SLAM and a lot of them get caught in the filter and mechanically removed.

Keep the questions coming. You'll get this pretty quickly as you've got some very experienced people helping. Kim was the one that taught me the whole process 5 years ago. I've been using TFP ever since and always had a crystal clear pool using dirt cheap chemicals since TFP doesn't need any of the expensive (and sometimes damaging) potions that the pool store sells. Also, since we don't sell anything our advice is never conflicted with commercial incentives. If you need something expensive from the pool store we'll let you know but that's pretty rare.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Reactions: carnivalday
I think I am ready to break up with the pool store.

- I purchased a Clear Choice Labs test kit a year or 2 ago, but never really used it. Hopefully it's still good.
- I've got HCl Acid in a 20L drum from the pool shop
- I've bought a 15 L drum of Pool Chlorine 12.5 (Sodium Hypchlorite)
- I've found a bulk supply of Bicarb from the local "Wasteless pantry"
- I guess I still need to buy Stabilizer from the Pool Shop

I think I am covered for everything, just need to work out how to use the kit. I have to say, feeling a bit nervous about human error (my own) in testing.

Those tests are pretty well goof-proof. Ive just started learning how to use my tests, and if you can count drops, you'll get an accurate test. In fact, they are kinda fun to run! Makes me feel like some sort of Mad Scientist.

I purchased a Clear Choice Labs test kit a year or 2 ago, but never really used it. Hopefully it's still good.
Since your test kit is a year or 2 old, it may be beneficial to check to see if it has expiration dates or contact Clear Choice Labs and discuss the age of the test kit with them. The chemicals included do have a shelf life and may give false results if too old or if the kit wasn't stored indoors in a temperature controlled environment.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.