Jun 19, 2022
MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi!
I believe I am very close to being done with my SLAM, but my pool is still lacking clarity/sparkle.

I have all my logs from the pool math app but I’m not sure how to upload them.

I have a 20x40 in ground vinyl liner pool with an 8ft deep end. 33,000 gallons. I have a sand filter that only has the slide up to run it or push it down to backwash it (no rinse, waste,etc). This is just what the pool guy installed I didn’t request this but he said it would do the job. (I think he lacked confidence in my skills as a single mom!)

Anyway, I’ve read in some other posts about adding DE to the sand filter to get the super fine particles. I’ve never used this and don’t know where to buy it or how to put it in. Is this something I should try? I love having sparkling balanced water ✨ 💦!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Eauclaire
Anyway, I’ve read in some other posts about adding DE to the sand filter to get the super fine particles. I’ve never used this and don’t know where to buy it or how to put it in. Is this something I should try? I love having sparkling balanced water ✨ 💦!!
First, keep Slamming. That pool will get sparkly.

Sand filters take the longest to clear a pool.

You can try the DE...here are instructions.

Hi!
I believe I am very close to being done with my SLAM, but my pool is still lacking clarity/sparkle.

I have all my logs from the pool math app but I’m not sure how to upload them.

I have a 20x40 in ground vinyl liner pool with an 8ft deep end. 33,000 gallons. I have a sand filter that only has the slide up to run it or push it down to backwash it (no rinse, waste,etc). This is just what the pool guy installed I didn’t request this but he said it would do the job. (I think he lacked confidence in my skills as a single mom!)

Your logs are visible. You shouldn’t try to adjust the pH during a SLAM because the pH test isn’t accurate with that high chlorine levels.

Also, try and stay away from the dry acid as it contains sulphates which will damage equipment.

Last edited:
Your logs are visible. You should try to adjust the pH during a SLAM because the pH test isn’t accurate with that high chlorine levels.

Also, try and stay away from the dry acid as it contains sulphates which will damage equipment.
I did not lose any chlorine overnight but during g the day it’s gone down more than it usually drops per day. There’s nobody swimming in it. Do I just let it fall to the normal range then resume adding chlorine r to keep it within that range?

Is it ok that it’s dropping do rapidly?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 17
I did not lose any chlorine overnight but during g the day it’s gone down more than it usually drops per day. There’s nobody swimming in it. Do I just let it fall to the normal range then resume adding chlorine r to keep it within that range?

Is it ok that it’s dropping do rapidly
That is normal behavior. Higher FC will lose more than lower.

You can let it fall, but did you meet all three criteria?
1) OCLT <=1
2) CC <=.5
3) clear pool, no dead algae, no live algae, no debris.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am slightly uncertain if I’ve met #3. The deep end is still slightly hazy. I bought the Clorox DE from Lowe’s and put that in today to see if that would help but haven’t really noticed a difference yet. I am getting small collections of sand in my pool and I’m afraid I may have a broken lateral

I am slightly uncertain if I’ve met #3. The deep end is still slightly hazy. I bought the Clorox DE from Lowe’s and put that in today to see if that would help but haven’t really noticed a difference yet. I am getting small collections of sand in my pool and I’m afraid I may have a broken lateral
The sand could be DE. I’m not a fan of that stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have made progress but I also made a big mistake. 2 days ago I added DE and the directions on the box said to add 1 pound (6 cups mixed with 2 gallons of pool water and pour into skimmer) then check PSI after 5 minutes to see if it increased 1. If not repeat. So I added 6 more cups. As I was slowly pouring it in it started accumulating like milk that wasn’t going down the sink drain. Then all suctioned stopped. 😱

I turned off the pump then moved my slide thing down on my filter to backwash (my filter doesn’t have a dial it’s just up and down (backwash down- filter up). Turned pump back on and nothing came out of the hose. I started to panic. I turned off pump again moved the slide thing up and opened up the air valve (I really don’t know why I did this) then both returns (I have one in shallow end and one in deep end) shot out big clouds of creamy white water. I turned off pump immediately then tried to backwash again and this time the dirty water continued to flow through backwash hose. I let it run for almost 5 minutes.

I suspect I clogged the system with the DE and it shot a bunch of it back into the pool. Now I have to brush pool at least 3x per day with filter running 24 hrs. My electricity usage has really shot up the past week.

My questions for anyone who can help!
1. Is this crud that collects on the bottom of my pool sand, DE, combo, algae?
2. I lost 6 ppm overnight in chlorine so I’m still slamming, but water overall looks very clear. I’ve been slamming for what seems like an eternity. Am I close to being done?
3. Once all this is done what is the minimum amount of time I need to keep my pump/filter running? It uses a ton of power that gets very expensive.

Thank you for your help. I’ll add pictures below

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1591.jpeg
    IMG_1591.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    739.5 KB · Views: 18
1. Is this crud that collects on the bottom of my pool sand, DE, combo, algae?
I don't think it is sand. Looks like DE and algae. Run the robot and or vacuum to waste.
2. I lost 6 ppm overnight in chlorine so I’m still slamming, but water overall looks very clear. I’ve been slamming for what seems like an eternity. Am I close to being done?
Don't know, really never know how long it will take. Did you take out the ladder and scrub inside? Did you scrub behind the light? Scrub the skimmers and check the weir doors for algae?
3. Once all this is done what is the minimum amount of time I need to keep my pump/filter running? It uses a ton of power that gets very expensive.
You run your pump for a reason. Filter, skim, mix chemicals, add chlorine, heat etc. You can run the minimum you want that accomplishes the filtering, skimming, adding/mixing chemicals or heating your water that you want.

* I want to confirm that I am only using liquid chlorine. One of my pictures shows a big chlorine tab bucket by my skimmer. It’s empty. Haven’t used chlorine tabs for 2 years. I used that empty bucket to mix the pool water with DE

Reactions: PoolStored
You definitely used too much de.
I only use a cup or two to increase my pressure by 1 psi. Follow the guide not the box instructions.
Keep with slam fc until you are getting no more accumulation.
As mentioned, check everything- ladder rails, light niches, drain covers, overflow drain, auto fill pot, abandoned lines, skimmer weir doors & their foam! Such a large overnight loss with almost clear water points to algae hiding somewhere. Leave no stone unturned.
I assume you have a single speed pump?
Can you take some pictures of it?

Thank you for feedback. What should I use to clean the areas you mentioned? Any specific product or do I just scrub?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 18
Just scrub with the slam level chlorinated water.
Some people elect to remove their ladder & clean it elsewhere so they don’t get funk in the pool as the rails can hold stagnant water.
Do you have a light? If so take a pic of it. Most sit within a niche that can hold some funky stuff.
For drain covers if you can’t get them off you can try to use a piece of pvc pipe to send a little liquid chlorine directly to it. Brush the area well to keep it off the liner.
Also be sure to brush all the areas/crannies around the steps. Inside the skimmers too.

Just scrub with the slam level chlorinated water.
Some people elect to remove their ladder & clean it elsewhere so they don’t get funk in the pool as the rails can hold stagnant water.
Do you have a light? If so take a pic of it. Most sit within a niche that can hold some funky stuff.
For drain covers if you can’t get them off you can try to use a piece of pvc pipe to send a little liquid chlorine directly to it. Brush the area well to keep it off the liner.
Also be sure to brush all the areas/crannies around the steps. Inside the skimmers too.
Thank you so much for the guidance. I stayed the course and I’m so grateful for clear water!! The pool is still to cold to get in to do a good scrubbing of the light but I’m trying to get it with my brush the best I can

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 13
You don’t have to get in the pool to remove the light.
You would first turn of the power source to the light, then lean over the deck (usually while laying down) & remove the screw at the top of the fixture (12 o’clock), & possibly one at the bottom (6 o’clock)
& set the fixture on the deck. There should be enough cable for it to reach & lay on the deck. This will expose the niche the light sits in. Be warned, it’s often gross in there. You may want to have the vac hose ready when scrubbing the niche.
IMG_6315.jpeg
IMG_6316.jpeg

Remove The screws on the inner circle not the outer one. You can see that it is basically a bucket.

Reactions: Decoy205

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.