SLAM Bubble Bath

poolmama83

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Dallas, TX
Long time lurker and learner, first problem I couldn't solve on my own! Since following TFP guidelines, I've done 3 SLAMs. First when I discovered this site, second after my twins were born and I let the pool go, and my current SLAM after my Polaris and SWG broke at the same time while all the leaves were falling and I didn't fix it for a month.

I have been slamming since Monday, my pool has gone from brown to clear. I'm keeping the pool at SLAM level and pump running 24/7 and have not done an overnight test yet. My problem is since I started on Monday, my pool has developed foam/bubbles on top. Current results as of this morning:

PH=7.2 (lowered due to SLAM, usually around 7.8)
FC=13
CC=0.5
TA=50 (I usually keep it at 60 to slow down my pH rise)
CH=475 (added calcium yesterday thinking low calcium was causing bubbles, but usually keep my calcium on the higher side to keep my CSI in range)
CYA=30 (usually at 60-80 with SWG but hadn't added anything since beginning of summer)
Salt=2800 (would add to 3600 but the water is to cold for my SWG so I run the pool as chlorine during the Texas winter)

Since I started the SLAM I've added the following:
-Instant Conditioner from Leslie's to raise CYA from 20 to 30
-Blue Whale muriatic acid from Leslie's to lower pH to 7.2
-Pool Essentials 10% Chlorinating Liquid from Walmart (11 bottles so far)
-Hardness Plus from Leslie's (added yesterday)
NO ALGEACIDE HAS BEEN USED!! I haven't used that since being screwed by Leslie's advice and finding this website years ago!

What is causing the bubbles? Low TA? Lots of pecans at the beginning of the SLAM? Something wrong with the chlorinating liquid? And should I just wait or try a defoamer of some kind? Thanks for any advice, sorry for the long first post but I've been around long enough to know posting "Why does my pool have bubbles?" would not be enough info!

20191129_124937.jpg20191129_124950.jpg

Welcome! :wave: My first reaction would be the chlorine, but Walmart's 10% is usually safe. Your TA wasn't so low that it should've contributed to any chemical reaction. Your CH is certainly high enough. I wouldn't add anymore hardener for sure. Definitely don't add any other products. Foam is usually a byproduct of some ingredient that will dissipate on its own. The chlorine and oxidation will take care of it. Your SLAM numbers look good, so I would stay on that course until you pass all 3 criteria.

Reactions: poolmama83
It sure looks like you added chlorine that contained a foaming additive like most Clorox bleach has.

I would look carefully at the labels on everything you are using.

The foam should get broken down in time if you don;t add anymore of whatever it was.

Reactions: poolmama83
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.