Skimmer Sucked a Mens Sock Down In It

GreenTerrorPool

Jan 4, 2017
PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL
I am not proud of this but tonight i dropped a mens regualr size sock (that was about 1/4 full of some stabilizer) into the skimmer and my basket was out.....it sucked the sock right down.
I hurried and turned the pump off, what do you think i should do? I am hoping it can make it all the way back to the pump and be caught at the leaf basket

Darn it!

I would turn the pump back on and leave it on. You don't want the CYA in the sock to sit in one place and form a lump. Running the pump will help it dissolve faster.

I would actually turn the pump to maximum speed and see whether the sock comes through. If it doesn't appear in the basket right away, it's probably just a matter of waiting for the CYA to dissolve.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I would not have the pump on unless you are awake and able to check it every 15 mins or so. Hopefully the CYA will dissolve and the sock will go into the pump basket. We have ways to find it if it does not show up on it's own.

Sounds the the same scenario as a post from the other day. The only difference, a frog instead of a sock. Long story short, pump turned on, frog survived the ride to the basket. :D

I am not proud of this but tonight i dropped a mens regualr size sock (that was about 1/4 full of some stabilizer) into the skimmer and my basket was out.....it sucked the sock right down.
I hurried and turned the pump off, what do you think i should do? I am hoping it can make it all the way back to the pump and be caught at the leaf basket

Darn it!

I misread this thread title for a split second and spit out my drink.

Nothing wrong with putting it in the skimmer but the intention is to have the basket in place while the sock is contained there it won't end up in the pipe. What would be a reason to do this without the skimmer basket in place.

There's a lot of "water under the bridge" advice here. We should help OP get the sock out.

Run the pump, hoping for the sock to come through to the pump basket. While doing that, monitor the psi on your gauge. A drop to zero on your psi would indicate the line is completely blocked and you will need to shut off the pump.

If the pump doesn't pull it through, you may have some success with a plumbers snake or a DRAIN King (google it)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Which assumes there is one skimmer and no main drain or main drain completely diverted.
A drop to zero at the oressure gauge indicates no flow through the pump, regardless of how many skimmers or main drain or not.......zero flow is zero flow and the pump should not be operated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.