Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have an inground ~30k gallon vinyl-lined pool with 2 Pentair admiral skimmers with floating weir baskets.

My issue is that the skimmers don't seem to work very well. I've cleaned the skimmer and pump baskets and debris sometimes floats by the skimmer opening without getting sucked in the opening.

There seems to be good water velocity at the basket so I don't think there is anything clogging the pipe. The only thing that has helped is pointing the jet eye on the opposite side of the pool towards the skimmer and slightly up to create some turbulence on the surface.

Maybe I am overestimating how well these should be working as this is my first time caring for a pool but I miss the way the pool looks with a calmer surface.

Should I scrap the floating weir baskets in favor of a traditional floating weir door?

Should I scrap the floating weir baskets in favor of a traditional floating weir door?

I would...

Why did you opt for the floating baskets in the first place??

Keep in mind that even well working skimmers do not reach out and drag things in..

The key to skimming is patience... Especially with VS pumps running at a low RPM. How long does it take for your pool to be skimmed?

I use hairnets in my skimmers.. If you just take a snapshot and look at my skimmers, they almost appear to not work.. Yet, the hairnets are always full of junk and my pool surface stays clear most of the time..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: borjis and m_cat12
Toss some ping pong balls in your pool.

Walk away and come back tomorrow.

See where the balls are.

Don't do this test when it is windy as surface winds will push debris more then any water circulation will. That is why skimmers should be placed into the prevailing winds.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

I would...

Keep in mind that even well working skimmers do not reach out and drag things in..

The key to skimming is patience... Especially with VS pumps running at a low RPM. How long does it take for your pool to be skimmed?

I use hairnets in my skimmers.. If you just take a snapshot and look at my skimmers, they almost appear to not work.. Yet, the hairnets are always full of junk and my pool surface stays clear most of the time..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I inherited the current setup from the previous owner. They did not do a good job caring for this pool so I have had to fix a lot of issues and the learning curve has been steep.

I have an inground ~30k gallon vinyl-lined pool with 2 Pentair admiral skimmers with floating weir baskets.

My issue is that the skimmers don't seem to work very well. I've cleaned the skimmer and pump baskets and debris sometimes floats by the skimmer opening without getting sucked in the opening.

There seems to be good water velocity at the basket so I don't think there is anything clogging the pipe. The only thing that has helped is pointing the jet eye on the opposite side of the pool towards the skimmer and slightly up to create some turbulence on the surface.

Maybe I am overestimating how well these should be working as this is my first time caring for a pool but I miss the way the pool looks with a calmer surface.

Yes, toss the floating weirs and get proper weir doors. They work better. Listen to Jimrahbe. Mine does the same, even with my very dirty, for pool purposes, yard.

Do your skimmers have a weir door right now in addition to the baskets?
No weir doors. Just the floating weir basket.

I would...

Thanks,

Jim R.
I likely have unrealistic expectations as I frequently have to clean the baskets so they’re clearly doing their job. I was hoping to manually skim less.

How many hours a day do you run your pump?

Do you have your pool return eyeballs adjusted to make your water swirl like flushing toilet bowl? Obviously, at a much, much slower rate? Although probably not near as much fun... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: acarpenter27

How many hours a day do you run your pump?

Do you have your pool return eyeballs adjusted to make your water swirl like flushing toilet bowl? Obviously, at a much, much slower rate? Although probably not near as much fun... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I run my pump for 16 hours per day. It is a kidney shaped pool so it’s hard to get a good flush 🤣. Currently, the return eyes are directed in the direction of the skimmer on the opposite side. This has worked best of everything I’ve tried.