Skimmer lids jammed shut with sand

Lilypad

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2016
Plano, Texas
I just had the mastic redone around the IG pool. Lots of loose sand was left behind. I had to go out of town unexpectedly, forgot about the sand and that my landscape/lawn service was doing a leaf cleanup. The sand got blown around the skimmer lid and both are now jammed shut. I tried prying them with a sturdy metal rod through the holes to pop them, but the lids are pretty old and are breaking a bit. Any suggestions before I take a hammer to them and then replace them?

I tried water earlier, but right out of the faucet. Hmmmm, interesting thought about temp affecting it. Will try tomorrow and report back. I sprayed a bit of WD40 in a desperate attempt to make the grains of sand play nice. No luck. You may just hear splintering plastic if the warm/cold doesn't work! Thanks all!

If it were warm enough, from inside the pool you can reach into the skimmer from the pool and punch it upward fron the bottom. But this time of year, maybe the sledgehammer.

Thanks. Just a very small amount got in. It was two quick bursts around the lid. Will be cleaning cartridge filters tomorrow if we don't have bad storms. Any suggestions or if the WD40 might cause a problem, would welcome your input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.