Skimmer leak?

May 30, 2016
Abilene/Tx
I haven’t used my skimmer in years. Today I wanted to start messing with it and see if I could get it running. Like the previous years everytime you turn on the skimmer, all the return outlets totally stop returning anything. The system just hums and all the water drains from the pump and then has to prime itself again? Does that mean their is a leak in the skimmer pipes?

What pump? Could be clogged skimmer line.
I think that’s the pump right? All I know is that little container goes completely down, the whole system hums and nothing comes out. Then it like primes and begins bubbling up and for about 40 seconds you get the system running normal and returns working. Then back down again

Attachments

• EF99487E-AB7C-40CF-9D46-C19B2D0427EE.jpeg
    EF99487E-AB7C-40CF-9D46-C19B2D0427EE.jpeg
    785.7 KB · Views: 14
I haven’t used my skimmer in years. Today I wanted to start messing with it and see if I could get it running. Like the previous years everytime you turn on the skimmer, all the return outlets totally stop returning anything. The system just hums and all the water drains from the pump and then has to prime itself again? Does that mean their is a leak in the skimmer pipes?
It could just be an airlock..
Try sticking a water hose down the skimmer return in the bottom ( not required if not close by ) and opening the skimmer valve slightly a few times pulling the air out. Might take a lot of time to get the air out. The trick for me is opening it enough to pull air but not enough to lose prime.
Hopefully, that is all it is.

Horizontal pipe going into the pump is the skimmer/suction line. It could be clogged.

Is the water level in the pool at least half-way up the skimmer opening? It needs to be.

Is the weir (small door in the skimmer throat) stuck in the "up" position? It should swing freely and fall into the skimmer when the pump turns on.

All of these could cause what you are seeing.

Horizontal pipe going into the pump is the skimmer/suction line. It could be clogged.

Is the water level in the pool at least half-way up the skimmer opening? It needs to be.

Is the weir (small door in the skimmer throat) stuck in the "up" position? It should swing freely and fall into the skimmer when the pump turns on.

All of these could cause what you are seeing.
I’m filling the pool as we speak, it’s not totally where it should be for the skimmer so I stuck a hose in it to compensate but probably not enough.

I’ll have to look up a weir there is not anything I can see that I’d be able to answer that. I’ll be back tonight with more info

I’m filling the pool as we speak, it’s not totally where it should be for the skimmer so I stuck a hose in it to compensate but probably not enough.

I’ll have to look up a weir there is not anything I can see that I’d be able to answer that. I’ll be back tonight with more info
Looked up weir and we definitely do not have a door on the skimmer bought the house without one 🤦‍♀️

It could just be an airlock..
Try sticking a water hose down the skimmer return in the bottom ( not required if not close by ) and opening the skimmer valve slightly a few times pulling the air out. Might take a lot of time to get the air out. The trick for me is opening it enough to pull air but not enough to lose prime.
Hopefully, that is all it is.
Is there a YouTube video 🤪

Can you take a photo that shows more of the pool equipment pad? The current photo doesn't show if there are any valves on the left of what is visible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.