Skimmer has low suction

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
Our shallow end skimmer has had low suction for quite some time now. We've let it go because the deep end skimmer has always pulled its weight, and truthfully, we've put a lot of money into the pool since buying this home, and we need a little break.

However, it seems (to me) that the deep end skimmer may not be beginning to have signs of less suction than usual, so now I think it's time for me to at least get the conversation going.

Is there an easy way for a complete novice to clear the lines or something? Or a way to see if there really is a problem? One thing that might be worth noting is that our pool is above our equipment as far as level goes. It honestly drives me crazy because if something goes wrong with the pool, I do believe all that water would be flowing right toward our house. Anyway...I don't know if that's necessary or helpful to know at all, but there is that fact anyway.

Thanks for the help! I always appreciate this site and those helping others.

We are going to need to know how your skimmers (and floor?) are plumbed. Could be an easy adjustment with float diverters or a valve change.

I'd love to give you that information. However I have an ignorance problem. I have no idea how they are plumbed. Can you give me any tips on how I can best describe this? I could take pictures of everything near the motor/filter, etc., if that would be helpful. I just really don't know anything about this stuff. I've learned all I can about chemistry, but the actual way this thing is plumbed or designed is beyond me.

Pictures of the equipment pad would be great.
Do you have a floor drain in addition to the 2 skimmers?
What do you see under the basket in the 2 skimmers? 1 or 2 open pipes? A "spaceship" looking float diverter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.