Skimmer Crack

AmyA

May 18, 2021
Kentucky
I just had an in ground pool installed, before it could even be used it began to lose water. This was due to a crack in the skimmer. The installers say they, of course are not liable for this because the ground settled and caused the crack. This happened the day we filled the pool. Anyway, their solution was to cover the entire inside of the skimmer with plumbers glue. This did not work it's still leaking. How can I remove this glue? Should I use an epoxy. This is my first pool and it's been an expensive nightmare. I'm 70,000 in and still don't have a pool that will hold water. HELP.

Hello Amy and welcome to TFP! :wave: When exactly was the pool installed? At first impressions, I have to say what your installers is doing seems like a foul in my opinion. Builders have an inherent responsibility for proper grading/leveling, stability, and plumbing/shell installation. That's just basic pool procedures. Can a pool settle over time? ...... of course. But there is typically a warranty period for things like that, and yours sounds incredibly short. Because the skimmer is typically surrounded by concrete or some other type of decking material, it's a bit more work to remove a skimmer, followed by the re-plumbing, and I suspect they are trying to get out of that work. Seems a bit sketchy.

I would keep working with the installer to make it right, not just for the skimmer, but I'd be worried about what else wasn't completed properly that they should be responsible for. Having said all of that, if you no longer have a good relationship with the installer, or simply wish to move on and not have them over anymore, a cracked skimmer can sometimes be repaired depending on the location of the crack(s). So I would recommend posting a pic or two of the skimmer and the problem area. We'll see what we can advise based on those pics.

I just had an in ground pool installed, before it could even be used it began to lose water. This was due to a crack in the skimmer. The installers say they, of course are not liable for this because the ground settled and caused the crack. This happened the day we filled the pool. Anyway, their solution was to cover the entire inside of the skimmer with plumbers glue. This did not work it's still leaking. How can I remove this glue? Should I use an epoxy. This is my first pool and it's been an expensive nightmare. I'm 70,000 in and still don't have a pool that will hold water. HELP.
I'd call my attorney. Geez.

First off, it’s definitely their fault! I can’t believe they are trying to skip out of doing a proper job.

Consult with them again, it’s on them to have everything in working order before they sign off on it and ask for the remainder of money owed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.