Size of opening for spa overflow?

SwimmingBevo

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Austin, Texas
I have a 7’ x 8’ spa that’s being redone. The previous opening was 3’ and water seemed to almost go under the lip instead of over like a nice spill/flow. I’ve gotten feedback “because it was too wide” or “water wasn’t pushing fast enough.”

At times it ran “ok.” And sounded nice. I had to turn the pump up at times to create a decent flow.

Do you think for the redo I should go 2.5’ or 2’ wide on the opening to create more pressure and a better “waterfall?” This spa will have a dedicated pump.

Appreciate any thoughts.

I have a 7’ x 8’ spa that’s being redone. The previous opening was 3’ and water seemed to almost go under the lip instead of over like a nice spill/flow. I’ve gotten feedback “because it was too wide” or “water wasn’t pushing fast enough.”

At times it ran “ok.” And sounded nice. I had to turn the pump up at times to create a decent flow.

Do you think for the redo I should go 2.5’ or 2’ wide on the opening to create more pressure and a better “waterfall?” This spa will have a dedicated pump.

Appreciate any thoughts.
If the flow to the spa remains the same, a narrower opening will result in the appearance of more flow through it and might give the effect you're after.

Reactions: SwimmingBevo
Thanks for your reply. Wasn’t sure if there was a math solution to this or how builders determine best width for these. The only downside is the 2’ opening versus 3’ will look small for the spa size amd we have 3’ sheers x3 across a back wall…so it was nice they had similar widths originally. But I’m just looking for a nice water flow arc with soothing sound.

Thanks for your reply. Wasn’t sure if there was a math solution to this or how builders determine best width for these. The only downside is the 2’ opening versus 3’ will look small for the spa size amd we have 3’ sheers x3 across a back wall…so it was nice they had similar widths originally. But I’m just looking for a nice water flow arc with soothing sound.
Just like the sheers, to get more arc you need more flow. The sheers came with instructions on what that needs to be for each length and how far into the pool you want the arc to flow, but you may not have them.

It is the same with the spa overflow. There is a math solution, its called fluid dynamics, way too complicated for me. Basically, you either narrow the opening with the same flow or increase the flow with the 3' channel to get the length of arc you want.

What is the material on your spillover?

If you have a ledge then surface tension will cause the water to wrap around the ledge and back to the tile. The fix is to put a notch sawcut/groove under the edge of the ledge to break the surface tension and have the water fall away. The notch should be 1/4" deep about 1/4" back from edge.

Post pics of your spa and spillover.

What is the material on your spillover?

If you have a ledge then surface tension will cause the water to wrap around the ledge and back to the tile. The fix is to put a notch sawcut/groove under the edge of the ledge to break the surface tension and have the water fall away. The notch should be 1/4" deep about 1/4" back from edge.

Post pics of your spa and spillover.

Thanks for the reply. Pics attached. One is a current render if we did scuppers instead of shears.

Attachments

• 25E424B2-158A-4F46-8BC6-CEDE64E6B461.jpeg
    25E424B2-158A-4F46-8BC6-CEDE64E6B461.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 34
  • D8D433F5-10A1-442A-8561-6151CA880613.jpeg
    D8D433F5-10A1-442A-8561-6151CA880613.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 35
I can’t really tell anything about your spillover from the pics you posted.

I can’t really tell anything about your spillover from the pics you posted.
Here is a close up of the spillover. Its original size as shown was 3’ wide. The spa is 7’ x 8’. I had issues with the water running vertically back at an angle instead of forward over the spillway. You can see that in the first post of photos I showed.

I was told it should be 2’ instead of 3’….others have said a dedicated pump would make it work well. And some have said tile over it and create a smooth waterflow.

Still trying to figure out what may be best for that.

Attachments

• 6C1D1CFC-2DBC-4600-8831-07305E3FB4F6.jpeg
    6C1D1CFC-2DBC-4600-8831-07305E3FB4F6.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 32
With a ledge the surface tension will cause the water to wrap around the ledge and back to the tile.

The fix is to put a notch sawcut/groove under the edge of the ledge to break the surface tension and have the water fall away. The notch should be 1/4" deep about 1/4" back from edge.

What pump do you have?

A smaller spillover or greater flow may break the surface tension of the water but cutting a notch is much less expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a ledge the surface tension will cause the water to wrap around the ledge and back to the tile.

The fix is to put a notch sawcut/groove under the edge of the ledge to break the surface tension and have the water fall away. The notch should be 1/4" deep about 1/4" back from edge.

What pump do you have?

A smaller spillover or greater flow may break the surface tension of the water but cutting a notch is much less expensive.
I’m not exactly sure of model number but it’s a pentair variable speed pump. I like the notch idea. Do you happen to have an example of what that looks like. I’ll pass that along to builder. Really appreciate your responses.

I’m not exactly sure of model number but it’s a pentair variable speed pump.

What speed are you running the pump for the spillover?

I like the notch idea. Do you happen to have an example of what that looks like. I’ll pass that along to builder. Really appreciate your responses.

It looks like a line cut in the bottom on the ledge 1/4" deep about 1/4" back from edge.

Ok, I saw some scuppers at a neighbors this weekend and liked the softer sound. Thinking of five across the wall. Silver to match the roof. Put at about 2’ up out of the water on wall…so 1’ down from top of wall. Thoughts? I think I can control the flow with variable speed pump. Not sure I’ll need tile on stone wall as we didn’t have it with scuppers.

Attachments

• 9DA2ABC8-73D6-4424-B7AE-3C225F67E095.jpeg
    9DA2ABC8-73D6-4424-B7AE-3C225F67E095.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 10
Have a 52’ retaining wall that is 3’ high. Thinking five across. Six inch would likely look better some the wall is so big…but I want to make sure I get soft sound. Anyone have experience with these? TYIA!

Thinking the brand attached for a clean look.

Attachments

• A2D8034D-874B-401F-9717-844BD38C24BD.jpeg
    A2D8034D-874B-401F-9717-844BD38C24BD.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 9A862D1B-EB45-4BA3-B39E-88BDBA918B8A.jpeg
    9A862D1B-EB45-4BA3-B39E-88BDBA918B8A.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi,

I’m trying to create a more pleasant sound in my pool area. I previously had 36” shears that were really loud.

How do y’all like this layout for Scuppers? Was thinking 1’ down from 3’ wall. Five across. Currently looking at 4” and 6”. Looking for a soft waterfall sound.

Appreciate any input. The brand I saw and like is posted in here as a pic also. Anyone have experience with these?

NOTE- I started a new thread because the one I previously posted has become stagnant and was pertaining to my spa. Thanks.

Attachments

• BCD7796A-AC3B-464E-BF43-77031E44FB9F.jpeg
    BCD7796A-AC3B-464E-BF43-77031E44FB9F.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 6FF50844-1311-4C76-821C-0B160FC0CA93.jpeg
    6FF50844-1311-4C76-821C-0B160FC0CA93.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 4
Be sure you have sufficient flow available to make them work. Manufacturer should be able to tell you what flow rate is needed per inch, etc.

I’m trying to create a more pleasant sound in my pool area. I previously had 36” shears that were really loud.

I would put some speakers around the pool. Then you can adjust it to give any sounds you want at whatever level. And you have no loss of water due to evaporation or pH rise due to aeration.

What guarantee do you have that the 5 scuppers will give you the ambiance and sound you desire?

Reactions: mknauss
I would put some speakers around the pool. Then you can adjust it to give any sounds you want at whatever level. And you have no loss of water due to evaporation or pH rise due to aeration.

What guarantee do you have that the 5 scuppers will give you the ambiance and sound you desire?
My neighbor has six in a smaller area and they sound good/soft. As opposed to the 36” shears that were very loud. We do have speakers nearby, we just like natural water sounds. I also like the looks coming off the wall. Mine will be about a foot higher….so about 2’ 6” off water…not sure how much added sound that will add but not expecting much. Appreciate the thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.