Size of opening for spa overflow?

Here is a close up of the spillover. Its original size as shown was 3’ wide. The spa is 7’ x 8’. I had issues with the water running vertically back at an angle instead of forward over the spillway. You can see that in the first post of photos I showed.

I was told it should be 2’ instead of 3’….others have said a dedicated pump would make it work well. And some have said tile over it and create a smooth waterflow.

Still trying to figure out what may be best for that.
A simple solution or even temporary would be to place several spaced out bricks on the spillover ledge. This would effectively reduce the spillover area and have a larger arc for the same flow rate. It would look kind of like scuppers.

Or if you placed them on the edges, it would just be a smaller spillover.

Also, are you sure the scuppers will really be any quieter than the sheers? Anytime water hits water, it will cause noise.

However, if the sheers are actually sheer (not multi-stream/rainfall), I would have expected them to be quieter than you have indicated. Can you post a video of the sheers in action? Maybe the problem is the type of sheer or the setup.

Last edited:
Also, are you sure the scuppers will really be any quieter than the sheers? Anytime water hits water, it will cause noise.

However, if the sheers are actually sheer (not multi-stream/rainfall), I would have expected them to be quieter than you have indicated. Can you post a video of the sheers in action? Maybe the problem is the type of sheer or the setup.
Thank you for responding. I’ll try and find a video. But yeah, the 36” shears x 2 placed ~3ft high on wall were pretty darn loud. And from what I’ve seen in the couple pools with scuppers is they seem much softer sounding and are closer to pool. These would be only @ 2ft from water….let me try and find video. But, I assume scuppers would be easier to control flow also…the sheer had to run a x speed to even form the sheer and you could really slow it down.

Here’s a video. Sorry at night and enjoy the floaties. :) You can see both sheers in background as floats go by. Thanks again for your feedback!

It is very hard to see the sheer hitting the water. I can't tell if the flow is still laminar or not. It could just be a height issue.

But if you were to reduce the flow rate in the sheer, is it less noisy?

It is very hard to see the sheer hitting the water. I can't tell if the flow is still laminar or not. It could just be a height issue.

But if you were to reduce the flow rate in the sheer, is it less noisy?
I tried that. Specifically bought a new variable speed pump just for it and thought I was a genius.

But, after playing with speed for a couple days it was shown a sheer doesn’t “sheer” unless it’s at x speed which is a good amount of water (higher speed) Otherwise they just trickle down the wall and don’t form.

I’ve heard height is likely the issue for 3’ sheers. But I don’t know what 8” scuppers at 2ft will do yet either…but read they are easy to adjust the flow.

I can’t find a place near Austin that has multiple features to view and judge which is why I’m posting here and very much appreciate these responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.