Single Body Plumbing Question

uvavi8r

Gold Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Falls Church, VA
11K pool, one skimmer, main drain, 3 returns (one will be a massage jet)...equipment setup will be VS/VF pump, cartridge filter, SWG, heater...my question.

In most of the diagrams I have seen there is a check valve between the heater & SWG (I understand why), do I need a check valve before the pump? As well, the check valve I have already purchased is the Flo-Vis check valve...if I am putting 2 check valves in, where is the best location for the flow meter (before the SWG or before the pump)?

Thanks

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
You really don't need a check valve after the heater. The SWG does not produce chlorine when the pump is off so it is a non issue for SWGs. Also, you only need a check valve after the filter if you plan on using solar heating.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Aviator,

Flow gauges are just not needed in most cases.. Since you already own it, I would put it between the pump and the filter..

As Mark points out, the check valve after a heater is only needed if you had a tab feeder, which can bleed acid back into the heater.. This is not a problem with a SWCG, so it is not needed or even recommended.

I would want 4 pool returns, one on each "wall" of the pool. Their whole job is to move the pool water like a large flushing toilet bowl, but obviously much, much slower.

Good luck with your new pool,

Jim R.