Simple pool and spa light wiring question

ltmarkm

May 4, 2020
Murrieta, CA
In ground pool with spa

At the root of my current problem is a simple question. Is it correct that the POOL LIGHT WIRE (3 WIRES WITHIN) AND THE SPA LIGHT WIRE (3 WIRES WITHIN) travel withing their own separate pvc lines and never come together until they come above ground to a junction box or other power center, etc.????? I ask because I can not locate 2 sets of wires in the Jandy Power center. There is no separate junction box anywhere. As an example, the power 120v (BROWN) wire from the pool light relay goes downward in a 1" pvc at the bottom of the jandy control center but the 3 wires withing the pool light are black, white and green. (I have the LED light cable/wire cut off the failed light fixture containing the 12v transformer to verify the wire colors). Checking continuity from the disconnected 120V output relay brown wire and the black wire that goes into the light pool fixture shows continuity?? so somewhere, that brown wire connects to the pool light black wire???? the pool light cable will not budge when I try to pull it out..

Lastly, I've checked continuity and located the green and white wire in the control box that intimately go the pool light but there is NO smaller gauge black wire entering the jandy box from any of the 1" or 3/4" PVC exiting the ground and attached to the jandy control center?? Shouldn't I have the white black and green wires of the spa and pool exiting somewhere that, if unattached, should pool the fixtures out into the spa or pull. ( recognizing that sometimes they are not easily puled) Both LED lights were retrofitted approx 4 years ago but the installer pool outfit is now out of business.

I know this may sound silly, but tomorrow, I'm going to take my shop vac and blow air down all the PVC's and see where I get bubbles. neither the spa or pool have any sealer material in the niches where the cables exit to the lights.

Mark

You have a pool light junction box somewhere where the pool lights connect with the wires from the power center.

How old is your pool? Look under the diving board or under bushes that may have grown over it.

The black wire is probably the bonding wire from the light niche to bond to the junction box. It does not go to the power center.

Blowing from the shop vac down the PVC at the power center will not find anything in the pool. Locate the junction box.

Last edited:
Mark,

I am not sure I completely follow all your logic, so I can't directly answer your questions..

But, in general you only need a junction box when the light cable is not long enough to reach the switch or controller for the lights. As an example; I have an EasyTouch automation system that controls the lights.. The wire from my light comes directly to the EasyTouch with no junction box or splices along the way.

If, your spa light and pool light both come on at the same time, then only one relay is required.. The relay it could be wired directly to both lights, or the relay could be wired to a junction box where the pool and spa light would be connected. If these are 12 volt LED lights, then the relay would be wired to a step down transformer located near your automation and the pool and spa light could be tied together there..

If the lights turn on one at a time, then you would need two relays, one for each light. You would also need two transformers if using 12 volt LED lighting.

Maybe a few pics might help us understand the problems that you are having..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you! I'm not there now. It's my son's pool. Each light has there own relay in the Control box. Both lights are the Pentair 5G LED color switching with the 12v transformer in the light fixture so each light has 120 going to them. I was under the impression that the one touch (which he has in the house) only contained the small gauge wires that go to the upper portion of the Jandy control center and activated the relays, read the temp sensors etc etc. I think what my main question is, am I correct that at some location, if properly disconnected, the pool or spa light fixtures should be able to be pulled out, individually! correct?

If I can't locate them, I will post some pics tomorrow. Thank You!

Mark

Thank you! I'm not there now. It's my son's pool. Each light has there own relay in the Control box. Both lights are the Pentair 5G LED color switching with the 12v transformer in the light fixture so each light has 120 going to them. I was under the impression that the one touch (which he has in the house) only contained the small gauge wires that go to the upper portion of the Jandy control center and activated the relays, read the temp sensors etc etc.

The (Pentair) EasyTouch Jim posted about and the (Jandy) One Touch are completely different. Don’t start getting confused.

I think what my main question is, am I correct that at some location, if properly disconnected, the pool or spa light fixtures should be able to be pulled out, individually! correct?

That location is the pool light junction box.

Last edited:
Thank you again. He's had the house for 6 years and I been there several times per week. I can't wait to go over tomorrow morning. Re: the easy touch, I'm not actually sure of the name. It allows you to turn on either light, start the heater, spa pump, set time and the motor hours etc. I really appreciate your help!

Mark

If he has a One Touch controller it’s sounds like he has Jandy Aqualink automation.

Take lots of pics of the equipment and around the pool if you need more help.

As I understand it, and I'm not an electrician, you can run multiple power lines in a similar conduit assuming the conduit is large enough to account for fill rate. It's a protective sleeve more than a wiring device.

he (Pentair) EasyTouch Jim posted about and the (Jandy) One Touch are completely different. Don’t start getting confused.

Basically all major automation systems work the same.. They all have a box with high voltage relays that are controlled by some electronic system. What you call them, and in detail how they work, may be a little different, but the basic idea that to turn on a light requires a relay is the same. The "One Touch" is just a remote pad that is connected back to the electronics that controls the high voltage relays. I suspect your son has an AquaLink RS, with a One Touch control panel.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.