Should the Skimmer be tiled on the bottom side?

thechem

Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Getting our plaster done in the next week. Is it normal for the bottom of the skimmer to be plaster instead of tile? I guess in our scenario i am not sure how tile would work
1677692933782.png

Many, many folks do have it tiled. You *could* have but I can see they would have had to do a bit of extra tile cutting to fill the space. I think having the plaster there will be fine, and won't look odd or anything.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: thechem
Your tile is too short. You should have two rows of that tile with the tile extending below the skimmer moth. Then tiling the bottom of the skimmer mouth would look correct.

The way it is now you will have exposed plaster when the water level is low. And you will have a scum line form on the plaster that will be hard to clean.

Someone is trying to go cheap saving on tile. Long term that is false economy.

Your tile is too short. You should have two rows of that tile with the tile extending below the skimmer moth. Then tiling the bottom of the skimmer mouth would look correct.

The way it is now you will have exposed plaster when the water level is low. And you will have a scum line form on the plaster that will be hard to clean.

Someone is trying to go cheap saving on tile. Long term that is false economy.
its 6x6 tile, i haven't seen two rows for it before. But maybe that is common?

its 6x6 tile, i haven't seen two rows for it before. But maybe that is common?
Have you seen tile line that does not go to the bottom of the skimmer mouth?

Either the tile is too short or the skimmer is too long. The pieces used don’t fit properly. Easier adding tile then changing the skimmer.

Tile should cover the range of the water level.

Reactions: thechem
My tile doesn't go to the bottom of my skimmer mouth, I've not had a problem. I also have an autofill and live in texas where the pool is never "closed" so the it typically doesn't go below a certain level without there being an issue.

I guess it depends on where the skimmer mouth opens up below the weir door when it’s open? My 6x6 tile goes to the bottom of the skimmer but there’s a 1/2” of plaster on the horizontal surface of the skimmer opening (not tile) The OP picture looks a little more than 1/2”, but hard to see with the weir door masked off.

The concern about a scum line on plaster inside the skimmer outlet doesn't seem to be issue to me? The skimmer is a tad deeper than normal or the tile is shorter than normal, and water will be on the plaster... just like it is around the entire pool.

Plaster guys closed the opening a bit, now it does look like tile would be best. I might do this later , at least its right at the water level.

1677896810836.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.