Should plumbing be run underneath the pool rather than around the pool?

BreezePool

Aug 7, 2020
Texas
Building a new inground pool in Texas where we had to dig a bedrock to excavate which took 3 weeks to dig. Now that excavation is done, ready for the plumbing. That said, we are getting mixed response about how to run the plumbing.
Should plumbing be run underneath the pool rather than around the pool?
Almost everyone I talk to say run the pipe around the pool, but the amount of water friction/flow rate reduction when calculated is alarming compared to running the pipe under the pool with the shortest run to the pump. Thoughts?

Consider that if you have plumbing problems down the road, I'd rather lift some pavers or jack up some cement and have access to the pipes rather than worse case having to go under the pool for the fix or close off and abandon some plumbing pieces all together.

Welcome to TFP.... we're happy to have you join us :)

Maddie

Reactions: BreezePool
Almost everyone I talk to say run the pipe around the pool, but the amount of water friction/flow rate reduction when calculated is alarming compared to running the pipe under the pool with the shortest run to the pump. Thoughts?
I really find it hard to believe the amount of friction (head loss) is that significant. Are we talking about an Olympic sized pool? I presume this is a pool of typical residential dimensions. Just use 2" pipe.. you really won't see much gain going to anything larger.

I agree w all of the posts ahead of me...you hope you never have to access the plumbing, but if you do, I sure wouldn't want to jack-hammer my gunite shell...As stated, let's see the calculations to determine how much of a true delta...a pic or rough drawing would be helpful too. What part of Texas? must be the Hill Country w all bedrock...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.