Should I seal my pool surface?

Jun 16, 2015
Alpharetta
I have an in-ground pool with a concrete surface similar to pebble tec and I was wondering if I should be sealing this every few years as a matter of maintenance. I need to drain and clean the pool due to issues with the water chemistry and was wondering if I should take this opportunity to coat the pool surface with a water-based sealer. Is this advisable? Foolish?

Details about my pool:
  • saltwater pool
  • 40,000 Gallons
  • In-ground concrete pool

No, you do not seal plaster.

How are you going to clean the plaster after draining?

Don’t leave a pool empty any longer then necessary because empty pools have popped out of the ground.

+1 to what Allen is saying. Pebble finishes are probably the most popular finishes right now and do not require sealing, and I would imagine sealing could cause issues with your finish and/or water chemistry.

No one does it but it’s your pool to maintain it as you want.

Pools do not require sealer. The materials used in pool construction are designed to be under water for long periods of time and to withstand immersion in chlorine. Concrete sealers are not designed to be immersed in water. If you are trying to prevent stains on the surface of your pool then you need to make sure you do not use any copper based products, keep calcium levels below 450ppm and use sequestrant if you have iron in your water. Brush the walls regularly and maintain water balance within TFP recommended levels and your pool finish should be durable and stain free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.