Should I Replaster Pool When Installing New Deck?

gagegordon

Dec 2, 2021
Texas
I am obtaining quotes to replace my current concrete cantilever pool deck which is cracking around the coping area and has cool decking that is eroding. Of the 4 quotes from pool and patio companies, only one did not recommend refinishing the pool while they have it drained. It was replastered with basic white in 2018 prior to my ownership. Nothing is wrong with the plaster, but my question is, should I go ahead and replaster since the pool is drained and there will be all kinds of work around the pool itself?

The one builder just said they would repair any damage they made but did not think we needed to refinish. The other three all recommended pebble finishes and basically said they were going to make a mess of the plaster. New deck is stamped concrete and we do not intend to live in the house more than 5-6 more years, but you never know. TIA

I am obtaining quotes to replace my current concrete cantilever pool deck which is cracking around the coping area and has cool decking that is eroding. Of the 4 quotes from pool and patio companies, only one did not recommend refinishing the pool while they have it drained. It was replastered with basic white in 2018 prior to my ownership. Nothing is wrong with the plaster, but my question is, should I go ahead and replaster since the pool is drained and there will be all kinds of work around the pool itself?

The one builder just said they would repair any damage they made but did not think we needed to refinish. The other three all recommended pebble finishes and basically said they were going to make a mess of the plaster. New deck is stamped concrete and we do not intend to live in the house more than 5-6 more years, but you never know. TIA
There’s no reason to replaster a pool that’s been replastered 4 years ago. I wouldn’t use any company that said they’d make a mess of my plaster, especially given it costs thousands of dollars to refinish it. Why do they need to drain the pool? Is there significant damage to the coping tile?

Deck work is going to have a impact on the pool finish, removing the cantilever and not getting any in the pool will be a challenge but it can be done. The builder who said they would repair any damage sounds like your best choice at this time. Most importantly you need to document the pool finish prior to any work being done and have everything you are concerned about in writing.

There’s no reason to replaster a pool that’s been replastered 4 years ago. I wouldn’t use any company that said they’d make a mess of my plaster, especially given it costs thousands of dollars to refinish it. Why do they need to drain the pool? Is there significant damage to the coping tile?
Bperry yes I forgot to specify that we are removing and replacing ~ 10” of tile around the top edge and replacing the coping.

Bperry yes I forgot to specify that we are removing and replacing ~ 10” of tile around the top edge and replacing the coping.
Ok, that might make it harder but still seems like you can avoid $10k (depending on the pool size) in plaster replacement costs. Agree that using the company that said they’d try to avoid damage and repair damage would be high on my list of choices.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.