Should I just drain and refill?? Ugh

Aginn10

Bronze Supporter
Apr 11, 2017
Fort Worth tx
My pool is bad. I’ve dumped a good $100+ in chemicals in last week and it’s still green. I’ve brushed and cleaned filters and everything I know to do. It only got this bad because it’s just me, and it was so cold and my pool sweep was down so I just let it go. Any tips..?

Tip #1 - complete your signature with details of your pool.

Tip #2 - read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Tip #3 - post a full set of water test results using a your own test kit. You do have your own test kit?

Tip #4 - tell us what chemicals you have dumped into your water.

Tip #5 - await incoming help.

I agree with above. Just a thought though, if you dumped a ton of chlorine in your pool and it quickly turned green, it could be because of metal. That has happened to me before. I was told by the pool store to use algicide, but I had a feeling it was metal as we have high iron content in this area. So I used a sequestering agent and my pool turned beautiful blue within hours.

Your signature now says “40,000 gallon inground pool. Hayward DE filter and multiport valve”

What type of finish? Plaster? Fiberglass? Liner? What pump? Any spa? Heater? How do you chlorinate? What type of pool cleaner? Any automation?

All are important to know to give you the correct advice.

Your signature now says “40,000 gallon inground pool. Hayward DE filter and multiport valve”

What type of finish? Plaster? Fiberglass? Liner? What pump? Any spa? Heater? How do you chlorinate? What type of pool cleaner? Any automation?

All are important to know to give you the correct advice.
Ok - I usually use bleach as needed, the past 5 months have been the exception because I had no pool sweep and couldn’t fight the leaves and kinda gave up. I have dumped 6 - 8 packages of shock in over 4 days, 4 gallons of liquid chlorine, got tabs everywhere, tried some algeacide yesterday and brushed it. That’s all the improvement thus far

Attachments

• C52E77F8-4C98-4EA0-9397-B9837FEBBA97.jpeg
    C52E77F8-4C98-4EA0-9397-B9837FEBBA97.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 041AA376-38D8-4BAB-800D-AFCC298495FF.jpeg
    041AA376-38D8-4BAB-800D-AFCC298495FF.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 36
Tip #1 accomplished.

How about a fill set of test results?

Your shock and tabs are likely giving you high CYA and maybe CH which can be contributing to your problems. I suggest you stop using tabs or shock until we sort out your water chemistry. Just use liquid chlorine.

Algecide may help prevent algae but it does not clear it once you have it. And algecide can add metals to your pool water which will cause staining. I suggest you stop adding it.

Tip #1 accomplished.

How about a fill set of test results?

Your shock and tabs are likely giving you high CYA and maybe CH which can be contributing to your problems. I suggest you stop using tabs or shock until we sort out your water chemistry. Just use liquid chlorine.

Algecide may help prevent algae but it does not clear it once you have it. And algecide can add metals to your pool water which will cause staining. I suggest you stop adding it.

Ok, I’ve lived here since 05/2001. My late husband did all the work on pool until he passed in 2016. I’ve been sort of winging it. However I DO know that since we’ve lived here we’ve NEVER tested the water and 90% of the time it was self maintaining (to a degree) you recommend having leslie’s test it?

I have dumped 6 - 8 packages of shock in over 4 days, 4 gallons of liquid chlorine, got tabs everywhere, tried some algeacide yesterday and brushed it. That’s all the improvement thus far
Aginn, something we hate to see are owners tossing chemicals into the water that not only may not work, but are certainly a loss of $$$. After all, we're all on a budget. Allen is throwing you some gold nuggets in advice, but you'll soon find there's not much we can do to help without accurate at-home testing. You've probably heard us mention the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. The money used to buy one of those will save you in wasted chemicals later.

On a side note, I have to ask based on this comment ...
My late husband did all the work on pool until he passed in 2016.
Were you ever with us at TFP before? That statement, your location, and perhaps your avatar sure seem familiar to me. Just curious if you were registered with us before under a different username?

Aginn, something we hate to see are owners tossing chemicals into the water that not only may not work, but are certainly a loss of $$$. After all, we're all on a budget. Allen is throwing you some gold nuggets in advice, but you'll soon find there's not much we can do to help without accurate at-home testing. You've probably heard us mention the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. The money used to buy one of those will save you in wasted chemicals later.

On a side note, I have to ask based on this comment ...

Were you ever with us at TFP before? That statement, your location, and perhaps your avatar sure seem familiar to me. Just curious if you were registered with us before under a different username?
Yes I’ve been around since July. I guess when the site was redone everything was lost! Good memory! I’m the one who had a new problem from July last year on and totally broke and just a freakin mess! But I’m trying!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can have leslie’s test it for free?
Tempting I know. We've all been there. But even though they are supposed to be the experts, often times their testing is inaccurate. Maybe not all the time, or not all six items, but enough to where you lose progress or get talked into buying something that we all know doesn't kill & remove algae for good. Plus, when you have algae, you need to follow the "SLAM" process (link below) and that requires frequent testing in the early stages, something you just can't do at the store. A TF-100 kit will last all season and you results will speak for themselves. Remember, the free testing gets you in the store. They are a business and need to sell products, even if those products are over-priced or won't resolve the problem.

Some tough luv - you already wasted $100+ on chemicals that did nothing. A Tf-100 Test Kits would have cost you $70. You are guaranteed to waste more then that if you don’t start doing your own testing and managing your water chemistry following TFPC methods and the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Being tight on money but wanting a pool for your kids the TF-100 is the best bargain you can find.

Reactions: proavia
Tip #1 - complete your signature with details of your pool.

Tip #2 - read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Tip #3 - post a full set of water test results using a your own test kit. You do have your own test kit?

Tip #4 - tell us what chemicals you have dumped into your water.

Tip #5 - await incoming help.
I tested it.

Attachments

• A751ABBC-A77C-4AC2-8B47-3A45A647EF52.jpeg
    A751ABBC-A77C-4AC2-8B47-3A45A647EF52.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 65
  • D2728190-5358-4340-9873-45C0EC5F9654.jpeg
    D2728190-5358-4340-9873-45C0EC5F9654.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 59
Your test results from Leslies look surprisingly good except your CYA is a bit high for a non-SWG pool and your FC a bit low.

You have a choice. Either follow Leslie in which case I wish you the best of luck. Or follow the TFPC methods and do the SLAM Process process. To do the SLAM Process you need to have your own test kit. You need to maintain your FC level and can not effectively do it running to a pool store multiple times in a day.

You cannot successfuly mix the different approaches to pool care.

Your pool, your choice.

Your test results from Leslies look surprisingly good except your CYA is a bit high for a non-SWG pool and your FC a bit low.

You have a choice. Either follow Leslie in which case I wish you the best of luck. Or follow the TFPC methods and do the SLAM Process process. To do the SLAM Process you need to have your own test kit. You need to maintain your FC level and can not effectively do it running to a pool store multiple times in a day.

You cannot successfuly mix the different approaches to pool care.

Your pool, your choice.
I’m skeptical of leslie’s because they’re out for $$$. I read the SLAM and it sounds confusing but I like the detailed instructions. I’ll get one of those kits.

Just follow the SLAM Process instructions step by step. Ask questions here before you do something if you are confused.

Stock up on bleach (not Clorox) as you will probably need it. It is important to test your water every few hours during the start of the SLAM Process and add CL as needed to maintain the shock level given in the FC/CYA Chart. Once you get a sense of how rapidly you are losing FC you adjust your test time to be more or less frequent.

Maintain the shock FC level until you meet the 3 exit criteria. It can take a few days to clear algae so be patient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.