Should I Go With A Gas Heater Or Electric Heat Pump?

A lot of good information here. Still kind of conflicted between the two though. Guess I just have to decide and deal with it.

I want something that will work efficiently but won’t kill me financially.

To be honest my pool stays rather warm July through mid august Because I get so much direct sunlight on my pool. Sun rises over my house and there’s no trees. What kills me is basically June it’s to cold and waters only in mid 70s. Only can really start enjoying beginning of July because that’s really when the sun starts heating up the pool. August is usually fine to. September starts to get cold again. I hate all the work and money and I only get two months MAYBE two and a half out of my pool you know?

Here’s my set up

I also only cover at night.

IMG_0314.jpegIMG_0328.jpegIMG_2377.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
BIG fan of that patio. Lol

20230802_160753.jpg

Get a good picture and enter the decking contest in the about TFP sub forum. A $50 credit at TFtestkits is up for grabs along with bragging rights.

What kills me is basically June it’s to cold and waters only in mid 70s
The heat pump will do fine in June. It'll come on more often, but not like May and Sept. Those are the months that the HP is a question mark, and it costs the most whether or not there are gains. Several times I ran it for 2 weeks just to have rainy days, too busy days and/or nobody wanted to swim because it was sweatshirt weather days. The gas heater would have been nice because I could have shut it off and fired it up the night before we wanted to swim again.

But then again, with solar to help offset it, the HP will sting less.

I’d still go gas with that setup. Last minute “use it when you want it” operation and probably quieter than a HP. I hate the droning of an AC compressor and so adding another one that could potentially run 24 hours straight without anything to show for it other then my frazzled nerves … yeah, that’ll be a hard-no there chief ….

Reactions: ForceEdge
Just my two pennies, but If I lived on Long Island and was trying to heat a fairly decent-sized pool, I'd probably opt for a gas heater. Heat pumps work optimally under higher ambient temperatures. Long Island can get pretty cold and I'm the type that likes immediate gratification. There's a comfort there knowing your pool is ready to swim when you are.

Reaching back, still haven’t decided but my pool guy is telling me to lean more towards HP since I have solar and the electrical is already there. I use my solar cover every night.

Gas would be a large amount more considering digging a trench from the front all the way to the back of my house.

Again, I’ll ask the opinions. If my HP and solar cover is on shouldn’t I be okay? I’m mainly looking to get full months of June and August and possibly September to use the pool. Without depending on only the sun. August here is usually high 70s low 80s and cold at night. And I like the pool at at least 85

Again, I’ll ask the opinions. If my HP and solar cover is on shouldn’t I be okay?
Again, it's entirely dependent on the weather. :)

If I had to guess, I'd say 1/3 of the seasons were warm (no issues), 1/3 were average (mostly no issues) and 1/3 were abnormally cool (lackluster performance at times). Overall it would work often enough that you'd be ok with it, going in knowing the limitations. Of course, Mr Murphy will rear his ugly stupid head when you have your heart set on a late season kids party, but you'll have to eat that one. :ROFLMAO:

I’m mainly looking to get full months of June and August and possibly September to use the pool.
More often than not that's entirely reasonable for a HP here. May and Oct are iffy but not impossible.

But is your pool guy going to service it when it breaks?? Of course he’s happy to sell you one or advise you to buy one, but he’s not going to be on the hook to fix it when it doesn’t work. These HP are essentially HVAC units and if you don’t have someone in your area that’s knowledgeable and available for repair, you’re going to have a nightmare of a time trying to get it serviced. Call around to some HVAC service companies and see if they offer service on pool heat pumps. My guess is Company A is going to say “no” but they’d recommend contacting Company B. Company B will say “no” but they’re sure Company C does … and Company C wont answer the phone and will return your message 3 days later telling you that they’re too busy to service pools but they know the guy that owns Company A and they’ll totally help you out.

A heat pump will definitely work in your situations as you have a cover. You’ll just be running it all the time. So it’s not so much what will work but what will work best with the least number of headaches. Trenching up a yard sucks the life out your wallet ONCE. But once it’s done, it’s done and then you never have to pay for that again.

Okay guys..so I have decided on going gas. Your inputs all have helped tremendously. Question is now, what do I go for? I’m looking for at least 400,000K. Reliability, great service/warranty if there’s any issue. I’d also LOVE for there to be Wi-Fi on the unit in case I’d like to turn gas heater on while I’m at work so I can come home to a hot pool. Not sure if they even make that.

What do you guys think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only heater with built in WiFi is the Avia.

Without WiFi Pentair MasterTemp, Hayward H Series, or Avia. They are all basically the same. Buy whichever one you have local service and support.

Will you be installing it DIY or buying it from a dealer?

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Well … there is this to think about - do you want a forced air/draft burner or a natural draft (atmospheric) burner? The ones listed above are all forced draft which means they have blower fans and a much more complicated control system. Raypak makes a natural draft style heater that is less expensive overall in terms of spare parts.

Natural draft heaters can suffer from early corrosion failures if they are run when the water is too cold and they can suffer from flame roll out if you put them in a very windy location.

The natural draft heaters will be slightly less expensive overall.

Thank you guys! Is there any other type of internal parts I should be looking for that are less prone to wear and corrosion?

And I would love to install in by myself, but I’m a little nervous on the gas lines and hooking it up to my main 🤷‍♂️ never done this before

Is there any other type of internal parts I should be looking for that are less prone to wear and corrosion?

I have no idea what you are asking about.

If you are buying from a local dealer then find out what models your local dealers sell and service. Let us know what choices you actually have.

I have no idea what you are asking about.

If you are buying from a local dealer then find out what models your local dealers sell and service. Let us know what choices you actually have.
For example. Cupronickel. I’ve read that’s the best metal for internals. Or is that only on heat pumps? Sorry for ignorance on topic

Well … there is this to think about - do you want a forced air/draft burner or a natural draft (atmospheric) burner? The ones listed above are all forced draft which means they have blower fans and a much more complicated control system. Raypak makes a natural draft style heater that is less expensive overall in terms of spare parts.

Natural draft heaters can suffer from early corrosion failures if they are run when the water is too cold and they can suffer from flame roll out if you put them in a very windy location.

The natural draft heaters will be slightly less expensive overall.
Gotcha! I had no idea on that. What about meter upgrade and permits? What’s the route you would suggest on that?

For example. Cupronickel. I’ve read that’s the best metal for internals. Or is that only on heat pumps? Sorry for ignorance on topic

If you keep your water chemistry well within balance then you don't need cupronickel.

If you are sloppy with your water chemistry then cupronickel may last a bit longer.

Gotcha! I had no idea on that. What about meter upgrade and permits? What’s the route you would suggest on that?

What is the CFM of your current gas meter?

Gas company will usually do meter upgrades at no cost and then you are responsible for the proper gas pipes from the meter to the heater.

Permits depends on what you local jurisdiction want. Your heater installer should know what permits are required and handle it.

What is the CFM of your current gas meter?

Gas company will usually do meter upgrades at no cost and then you are responsible for the proper gas pipes from the meter to the heater.

Permits depends on what you local jurisdiction want. Your heater installer should know what permits are required and handle it.
This is what my meter says.
Not sure if it matters to mention but I have all this inside. a gas furnace, gas hot water heater and a gas stove

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.