Should I Get a DE filter?

jgf310

Jul 30, 2016
Connecticut
My concrete/plaster pool was painted by a previous owner.

It needs to be sandblasted and re-plastered, but my estimates last year were $25-30K and i will bet it would be more expensive this year. I don't feel like spending the money - the surface looks fine. I don't plan to stay in the house that much longer. Also the downtime will be long to re-plaster.

My problem is that when I brush the sides of the pool - I am doing it pretty vigorously now to open the pool - clouds of white paint (i guess) go into the water. It's _very_ fine.

It takes days for the pool to clear.

I am not sure my cartridge filter is doing much - maybe it's helping. I am pretty sure that the white stuff settles to the bottom and i vacuum it up. I often vacuum to waste so it never goes through the filter.

Anyway - I understand that DE filters will filter much finer particles than a cartridge filter.

So, for $1500, and virtually no downtime.., maybe I could solve the cloud issue.., or at least make it better...

I wonder though whether my white paint cloud is too fine for even a DE filter.

Any thoughts about this? Is there any chance a DE filter will make a difference?

You're talking about the difference between 10 microns and 3 microns. DE filters to higher clarity, but it's not that dramatic. It might help in this situation, it might not. Check that you don't have an algae bloom looming before you spend money on changing the filter. Cartridge filters are fine (I'll probably move from DE to cartridge someday). Those quotes seem really steep, but maybe that's the norm there.

You're talking about the difference between 10 microns and 3 microns. DE filters to higher clarity, but it's not that dramatic. It might help in this situation, it might not. Check that you don't have an algae bloom looming before you spend money on changing the filter. Cartridge filters are fine (I'll probably move from DE to cartridge someday). Those quotes seem really steep, but maybe that's the norm there.
i don't have algae

this is has been a chronic problem - several years - that is getting worse over time.
clouds of very old white paint come off the wall into the pool when it is brushed
if you rub your finger on the wall, it comes off white
my cartridge filter fills up with small flakes of paint

it sounds like you think that the paint cloud might be finer than what can be captured by a DE filter.

that is what i am worried about...

i might try a flocculant

I think you might not see a difference if it's truly that fine.
I would wonder if a fresh epoxy paint could seal what you've got so it isn't coming off? But if what you have isn't bonded well, then that could just exacerbate the issue. Seems like it would be cheaper that the media blast down to the shell.

No way I’d trade a cartridge filter for DE. I doubt it would make much difference in this case. Plaster is crazy expensive right now so I get not wanting to replace it, but $30k seems like a quote that someone gave cause they didn’t want to do it, but would be willing if you paid them enough. It should be 1/2 that.

No way I’d trade a cartridge filter for DE. I doubt it would make much difference in this case. Plaster is crazy expensive right now so I get not wanting to replace it, but $30k seems like a quote that someone gave cause they didn’t want to do it, but would be willing if you paid them enough. It should be 1/2 that.

i had two quotes - roughly the same

everything is expensive where i live...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You’de have to use it everytime you brushed the pool. Do you have a robot vacuum with extra fine filters you can run a lot?

mostly - in the season i do not brush.., because of this paint issue.

what i do is just vacuum the sides - that has been good enough to prevent algae, and it does not seem to take the fine paint off and make clouds

opening my pool, the other day - i had to brush... hence the problem

mostly - in the season i do not brush.., because of this paint issue.

what i do is just vacuum the sides - that has been good enough to prevent algae, and it does not seem to take the fine paint off and make clouds

opening my pool, the other day - i had to brush... hence the problem
Have you tried running a higher chlorine level? I don’t need to vacuum or brush. That might at least let you get through another season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.