Should I convert from SWG??

sksw1

Jun 14, 2018
fort smith, AR
Help... I was never involved in the care of my pool until a recent divorced forced me to be. Now, I have a failing Pentair Intellichlor 20, and I am faced with the decision on whether to continue with a SWG or to remove this and use liquid chlorine. I have been using chlorine pucks over the last week, and I have purchased the Taylor test kit recommended on TFP--I should receive it today. The pool water testing seems very complicated, but maybe this is just because this is so unfamiliar and I'm a little overwhelmed at this point. Of course, replacing the cell would be easiest, but certainly not the most cost-effective. I have considered also replacing the Pentair SWG with a CircuPool SJ20, as this has been recommended to me by a friend. If I decide to go to liquid chlorine, is it best to just replace the area that now has the SWG cell with straight PVC, or is there some other recommended device I should put in that area?

I guess I'm just looking for some input to help sway my decision....Any help would be most appreciated!!

sk,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all your "Divorce Directed" Pool maintenance questions, no matter what Fort you live in... :shark:

If you do not have an automation system, then you can use any salt system you want.. The advantage of install a new IC20 is that you only need the cell.. If you buy another system you will need to install the whole system, which most likely will required some re-plumbing and re-wiring..

The very first thing I would want to do is make sure the cell is actually bad... It very well may be old and used up, but a lot of failures are blamed on the salt cell, when it is really something else.

Tell us why you think your cell is bad... what are the lights on the cell telling you?

I believe that salt pools are the easiest type pool to maintain. I will never, ever, have another non-saltwater pool... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
I do not have an automation system. The CircuPool SJ20 system is about the same price as just the IC20 cell, so that is why I'm considering that. However, I really haven't heard/read much about the CircuPool.

I think my cell is bad because I get no lights under status section on display--This is what my previous cell did when it was bad. This cell is only 2 years old. Flow light is green and salt level is green. I have removed and inspected, rinsed out cell with hose. Looks clean. I cannot seem to get a repair person from the 3 pool contractors in town to come out to check it...They are "booked out" a few weeks. (My pool contractor went out of business and disappeared just weeks after installing my pool in 2008, so I am a bit of an "orphan" as far as getting priority service from the other pool places here.)

I have no timer for system...runs 24/7 now...and I am now definitely planning to install a timer, which will require an electrician anyway. Can just have him rewire for new control box for SWG if I decide to go with another brand.

Thank you,
sk

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! So happy to have found TFP!!!!

Sksw, if you are still trying to decide what course you would like to go, you can always add a bypass pipe that goes in place of your cell. Every manufacturer makes one, and it just screws in the same way the cell does. Then you can learn how to liquid dose your pool with chlorine, and as others have said, there are tons of people that will walk you through learning your test kit.
:)

Jim,
I think my cell is bad because I get no lights under status section on display--This is what my previous cell did when it was bad. This cell is only 2 years old. Flow light is green and salt level is green. I have removed and inspected, rinsed out cell with hose. Looks clean.

Thank you,
sk

sk,

I'm sure you already know this, but just to make sure... The Cell Light comes on and off depending on the % of output you select. At 100% the cell light should never turn off and at 50% the cell light will be on for about 2.5 minutes and then off for about 2.5 minutes...

If the cell light does not come on at all at 100% and the flow light and salt lights are green, then I agree that most likely the cell is toast.. :(

We have several members with CircuPool salt systems and for the most part have only seen positive reviews... Only time will tell if they live up to longevity expectations...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.