Jul 7, 2021
Statesville/ NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,
I am really struggling on what to do and need advice!
I am not wanting an algae bloom! I had to fight a bad one in may and June. So, I do everything I can to keep water balanced.

To fight the bloom I used pool life back to blue, then slammed the pool. It seemed to work.

present time:
I have been using Arm & Hammer clear balance (2) tablets a week for 2weeks.
-My PH & TA is staying high.

-6/28 PH 8, TA 80 (2lbs dry added)
7/2 PH 7.4, TA 80 (15oz soda ash wanting to raise to 7.6, used pool math)
7/8 PH 7.0, TA 90
7/10 PH8.0, TA 110 (2.7lbs dry)
7/13 PH 7.8, TA 110 (2lbs oxidizer)
7/14 PH 8, TA 120
7/15 PH 8.0, TA 110 (5LBS dry)
7/16 PH 7.8, TA 110
7/22 PH 7.8, TA 100 (2 tabs clear balance)
7/ 28 2 tabs clear balance, 2 tabs NST
TODAY
FC &TC 3, PH 8, TA 125, CH 275, saturation rate 0.7, CSI.540

Hi, welcome to TFP! The Arm & Hammer tablets are baking soda. Baking soda raises TA, and a higher TA usually means pH is higher too. You are just chasing your tail adding baking soda and then trying to lower TA with acid. Its ok to have pH anywhere between 7.0-7.8 you don't need to micro-manage it. If your current TA level is causing to pH to rise too high, then work on lowering it, but if the pH stays fairly stable with the current TA level then you are good. Lowering TA just to meet a suggested range is not needed if pH levels are good.

Your FC is kind of low. What is your current CYA level?

Muriatic acid is your friend for lowering TA and ph. Gonna have to run a few cycles of letting your ph rise to 8.0 again and lowering with more acid. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome! I am really enjoying this website. It’s been a godsend. Thanks for the info, I have been reading about MA but wasn’t sure. I have to give it a try.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The Arm & Hammer tablets are baking soda. Baking soda raises TA, and a higher TA usually means pH is higher too. You are just chasing your tail adding baking soda and then trying to lower TA with acid. Its ok to have pH anywhere between 7.0-7.8 you don't need to micro-manage it. If your current TA level is causing to pH to rise too high, then work on lowering it, but if the pH stays fairly stable with the current TA level then you are good. Lowering TA just to meet a suggested range is not needed if pH levels are good.

Your FC is kind of low. What is your current CYA level?
Thank you for all that! I will stop putting those tabs in. The advertise keeping it balanced, but it is not working for me. My CYA is 43. With my FC being 3 poolmath told me to add about 1lbs of 73% hypo. So, doing that this evening. The FC has been staying pretty good. I just have to be on top of it because the pool is in direct NC sun from about 10am- 6:30 pm. So everyday I need to add 7.5% bleach or a NST (tab if super low.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.