Should black poly pipe be replaced with PVC?

karrio

May 26, 2024
Toronto, Canada
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,

I have an in-ground concrete pool built in the late 1960s or early 70s with black poly plumbing lines. I've owned the pool for the past 6 years without any issues until recently when a leak occurred. After pressure testing, it was found that the leak is underground in a return line near the pump.

The pool company recommended installing completely new PVC lines. They believe that with the black poly pipes, fixing one leak might lead to new leaks elsewhere. I understand their point that the old pipes are aged and ideally should be replaced, but fixing the current leak costs around $1,000, whereas installing new pipes would be $6,500.

I've read that black poly pipes can last up to 75 years, so I'm hesitant to spend that much extra money right now unless it's absolutely necessary. What do you all think? Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey Karrio and Welcome !!!
They believe that with the black poly pipes, fixing one leak might lead to new leaks elsewhere.
That's hogwash.

But it's all the same age so if one compression fitting is shot (etc), it doesn't bode well for the others.

I understand their point that the old pipes are aged and ideally should be replaced, but fixing the current leak costs around $1,000, whereas installing new pipes would be $6,500.
How soon would you like to revisit this issue ? I totally understand wanting to put this off, but your plumbing is 60 years old.

This is throwing good money after bad IMO.

Thanks for the warm welcome and your responses, @Texas Splash and @newdude.

@newdude , I understand your point about the lines being old, and ideally, I’d consider spending the extra money to get new lines. However, I think there might be a specific reason for this leak that's not directly related to the age of the lines.

Earlier, another company installed a new pump for me. After that, my drain line, which goes into the ground rather than to the street, started leaking. This leak went unnoticed for a while, leading to water being pumped directly into the area where all the lines come up to my garage. I believe the pressure from these incidents could have caused the leak. The timing seems to match. Since then, I've installed a backwash hose so I can direct drain/backwash water to the street.

So, I think there's a good chance this leak is an isolated issue, and fixing it might give me a few more years with the current lines. The $6,500 cost for new lines is significant for me, and I'm also concerned about the disruption it would cause in my yard.