Shotcrete wall collapse

joshmonica

Silver Supporter
Apr 18, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,

long time viewer, first post....

pool under construction with pool builder. Shotcrete is/was today, they are still going 5:30 in las vegas and dark. as title says they collapsed a wall as they were shotcreting. Wall in deep end, 15 feet long up to 8 feet deep.

The metal reinforcements bowed so much the had to drive spikes into ground and ratch strap them back into place. Metal still bowed out 3-4” into pool and there was at least a 6 inch “wave “ in the wall. Then they poured probably 20 gallons of water on it to help shovel away that shotcrete.

so question what now? How will this effact the integrity of the wall, the metal reinforcement and also the deep end floor which now has 20 or so extra gallons of water on its yet to be poured shotcrete.

josh

Josh, I am not really sure what the last part means.....A picture or 5 will be helpful. We have a couple of pool builders and such on here that should be able to ease your mine but they will need to see what you are dealing with.

Thanks for becoming a supporting member!

Pics. If you click on they they are big. Not sure why they are turned but..........we can work with that.

Are you saying all of that *stuff* on the bottom of the pool is gunite junk? Is it solid or liquid at this point?

What a mess. I say they get it all off and out. That is the only way you are going to be able to see what is what. They need to use something to break it apart if it is solid the take it out. As far as the steel. They will need to rebend it AND reinforce it. They cannot leave just that steel there. They need to reinforce it with new steel.

I will also call in a pool builder and see what he has to say.

:hug: your heart must be hurting after all of this.

Off the top of my head... You're in big trouble.

They should dig that whole wall out and rebuild it. I don't think that damage can be fixed.

But I'm not there to see it in person.

Well its Las Vegas, hasn't rained in at least 2 months. I wasn't there when it collapsed but caught them trying to fix it. from what i could see they had some shotcrete on that section from earlier in the pour and then when to finish off the wall (it is a wall and bench section) and then existing shotcrete gave way ( i don't believe the earth behind it gaveway I saw no evidence of that) as it let loose the force and weight must have bent the metal out. They poured water on it to loosen the shotcrete to make it easier to shovel out of that area, so what you see on the ground is the sludge they created ( the floor was not poured yet)

Looking over it today you would never know it happened very minimal ripple where the metal bowed out the most.

Is it even possible at this point to redo that wall, dig it out, rebuild and re shotcrete?

josh

I think it looks as good as it is going to get. It looked like they were tying the steel into the other steel in the pics before so it should all be good! Now is time to start bonding with your pool aka watering it. The first couple of days try for twice a day. If you get tired of hand watering it you can use a sprinkler to do the work.

Here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info so take it slow. It will all start to sink in once you start using it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

PoolMath

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now is also the time I ask what test kit your PB is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any blanks.

Kim:kim:

no idea on what test kit pool builder is providing, I plan on buying the TF-100 kit. Pool Builder will manage the pool for the first month after water fill, but i will be testing water as well.

As far as the wall, I think it is going to be ok.... Pool Builder seem very knowledgeable, lots of experience, and is very responsive. He was not concerned.

I had a vinyl pool for a few years when I lived in PA and this forum was invaluable helping maintain that pool, so a cement pool will be a whole new experience and again this forum will be an invaluable resource.

josh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.