Shocking Algae

GMusic

May 29, 2018
Dallas, TX
A raccoon pooped in our pool so we need to drain the pool for health reasons. Also, due to a variety of subsequent issues, we also now have a major green algae problem.

I am having a pool service handle this. They are recommending putting in like 50 pounds of shock in order to kill off the existing algae and letting the pump run for a couple of days before it is drained. The pool will probably also need to be acid washed after it is drained.

Is that the best course of action? Will the high level of shock damage my plaster (8 year old Durazzo)? Will acid washing the plaster damage it?

I have to make the decisions on this today. Thanks.

Last edited:
"G", here are some other discussions if you haven't already seen them.

Reactions: GMusic
Acid washing a plaster surface is a dramatic decision. It will reduce its life span and will make the plaster rough.

I have no knowledge around the ring worm thing. That has popped up a couple times in the forum this year. Did not know it was a big deal. As far as algae, chlorine is needed for that. Follow the SLAM Process

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only if the chlorine cannot get to the algae. Say delaminated plaster that algae grows under. For algae embedded in very rough plaster, you may have to run an elevated FC for a period of time as well as brushing.

Algae does not 'stain' per se. Stains are nearly always metal related. For many pools, iron (if in the fill water) or copper (if added by using pool store potions) are typical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.