Shock My Pool??

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Good Evening, Newbie here. I appreciate your help in advance. I live in Avondale, AZ and have a 15,000 Gallon Freshwater Pool. I test the pool with a Taylor K-1005 Kit typically 1 to 2 times per week for Free Chlorine and pH. I float (3) 3" Leslie's Jumbo Tabs and add Muriatic Acid and Liquid Chlorine as needed. I also add Scaletec once per month. I don't have any issues with algae or cloudy water and the pool is comfortable to swim in. I've done some reading on here and I understand that I don't test enough parameters of the water. I look forward to learning more.

Question: I take my pool water to the local Leslie's about once every 4-6 weeks just to make sure I'm alright. My last trip there, the person working the counter asked "When was the last time you shocked your pool"? This surprised since I only thought you had to shock your pool when there is an algae issue or after a big party with lots of swimmers. She then mentioned 2 different shocks to use. One is called Fresh N Clear and the other is called Power Powder Plus. She did her best to explain the difference in when to use one or the other. Something to do with the difference between FC and TC? I tried, but I couldn't grasp what she was trying to teach me.

Here were my readings:
FC 10.33 (High, I use a Taylor test kit and I was only reading about 4.0?)
TC 10.46 (High)
pH 7.3
TA 22 (Low)
Calcium Hardness 380
CYA 93
Phosphates 98
TDS 2500

So my actual Questions:
1) When should I shock my pool?
2) What shock should I use?
3) What other items should I start to test and how often? I'm okay with baby steps here.
4) Should I still use Liquid Chlorine?

Please feel free to "Dumb It Down" the best you can. I really appreciate all of your knowledge on this site. Happy New Year Everyone.

Hopefully this video will help guide you in the right direction, and any further questions we can answer as we go. Simply put, the store is wrong….there is no need to “shock” unless you’ve got a green pool. Even then it’s not a one time thing to clear a pool up. 👍

That said, I do see some areas for improvement in managing your pool as it seems like you’re tip-toeing with some headaches. Let’s start by guiding you to the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Hopefully this video will help guide you in the right direction, and any further questions we can answer as we go. Simply put, the store is wrong….there is no need to “shock” unless you’ve got a green pool. Even then it’s not a one time thing to clear a pool up. 👍

That said, I do see some areas for improvement in managing your pool as it seems like you’re tip-toeing with some headaches. Let’s start by guiding you to the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Thanks Leebo! I’ll watch the video today and reply with any questions. After that we’ll work on my water chemistry habits. Appreciate it once again.

Reactions: kul

Great Video Leebo, for a newbie it makes sense. I haven't fought algae in quite some time. And when I did, it was totally my fault. ABC's of pool chemistry next. No questions as of yet. Thanks again.

You are wise to check in at TFP before following blindly the advice of a pool chemical supplier. Check this vid out as well......

FC/CYA Levels

Copy and frequent this link to learn the basics. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Thanks Oly, I'll start by upgrading my test kit to the TF-100 and make sure to start monitoring CYA closer. I'll download and print the Chart as well. In the past I've been draining the pool every 4 years or so due to high CYA. Like I told Leebo, I'll work on the ABC's of pool chemistry next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.