Shock before or after a storm?

My pool doesn’t seem to do well after a big rain storm and loses most of its chlorine. Is it recommended to shock or add chlorine before or after a storm ??
Was wondering this myself regarding storms. How does quick heavy thunderstorms impact pool chemistry in general? Should you wait a certain amount of time after one to do your chem tests?

The only time storms have a noticeable impact on my pool balance is if we get several inches or more of rain, requiring I pump excess water out. Even then, the impact isn’t that much.

In my experience, losing most of the chlorine after a storm is not normal.

Outside excessive rainfalls storms have minimal effect on water chemistry. When a normal spring storm routinely causes problems in a pool it typically indicates that the water chemistry is off and already teetering on the brink of an algae bloom. That's why many following pool store techniques think that a green pool after a storm is just a normal thing, they are just always one minor incident away from algae.

Agree. The only time I add shock is right before a hurricane or tropical storm. My CYA is low enough that adding shock won't affect much and I like to over chlorinate if I get excessive rain.
It's crazy that you read places that you should shock the pool once a week... Most people probably never shock at all once they get on the TFP method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.