SF Bay Area build (done!!!)

8 days after fill and 1 weekend of swimming
numbers are settling in
dolphin cleaner and solar/gas heater are possibly 1 week away from green light
SWG still waiting for the 4 week mark
Very nice... just curious, did they say why did they are waiting such a long time to fire up the SWG... are they waiting for the CH to drop or something? ;) All the other numbers look right in line.

Very nice... just curious, did they say why did they are waiting such a long time to fire up the SWG... are they waiting for the CH to drop or something? ;) All the other numbers look right in line.

TFP says the following:

"If you have a SWG, do NOT add salt, or turn on the SWG, until 30 days after the pool has been filled with water. Much like the heater SWG’s can become damaged by plaster dust. To be safe use liquid chlorine to maintain the water at startup."

how did he cause you to SLAM?

He probably did not put in enough chemicals to keep it balanced and sanitized. He did not add chlorine until maybe 2 weeks into the water being filled. I asked why and he said the chlorine isn’t good for the new plaster. I did not know and assumed he knew what he was talking about since he is the “professional.” He only added chlorine in the second week because the water started to look a little hazy/cloudy. It cleared up right away. He would keep the FC at the bare minimum and would sometimes drop to 0 before he would come out next and add more chlorine.

I only realized there was a problem when I was adding salt and trying to get my SWG up and running. I wasn’t producing much FC and every time I added chlorine, it would drop quickly. So, I did an OCLT last night and it failed. Although, the water was crystal clear an CC was 0.0-0.2, my FC was deminishing too quickly and my SWG wasn’t keeping up.

My guess is the 30 day start up guy doesn’t really care about your pool. He just wants to put in the bare minimum chemicals to save money and make sure the pool/water looks good. Once he is done, he is gone unless you pay him for regular maintenance. Even then, who knows how they would take care of the water?

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats and NorCalX
He probably did not put in enough chemicals to keep it balanced and sanitized. He did not add chlorine until maybe 2 weeks into the water being filled. I asked why and he said the chlorine isn’t good for the new plaster. I did not know and assumed he knew what he was talking about since he is the “professional.” He only added chlorine in the second week because the water started to look a little hazy/cloudy. It cleared up right away. He would keep the FC at the bare minimum and would sometimes drop to 0 before he would come out next and add more chlorine.

I only realized there was a problem when I was adding salt and trying to get my SWG up and running. I wasn’t producing much FC and every time I added chlorine, it would drop quickly. So, I did an OCLT last night and it failed. Although, the water was crystal clear an CC was 0.0-0.2, my FC was deminishing too quickly and my SWG wasn’t keeping up.

My guess is the 30 day start up guy doesn’t really care about your pool. He just wants to put in the bare minimum chemicals to save money and make sure the pool/water looks good. Once he is done, he is gone unless you pay him for regular maintenance. Even then, who knows how they would take care of the water?

I was able to shadow test and keep track of what he was doing every time.

Friday (Day 4 of startup service)
TA 140
CH 300
PH 7.8
CL 0
CYA 0

Added chlorine and CYA

Sat (Day 5)
9am testing
TA 110
CH 300
PH 6.8
FC 14
CC 0
CYA 60

He came later in the day while I was gone and gave us the green light to swim

I tested the FC when I got home to be on the safe side. Kids ages 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 were going to be in the water

The FC was around 9 at 5pm after a 100 degree full sunny day

Everything appears to be right on track where it needs to be so far

Reactions: OGSW20
TFP says the following:

"If you have a SWG, do NOT add salt, or turn on the SWG, until 30 days after the pool has been filled with water. Much like the heater SWG’s can become damaged by plaster dust. To be safe use liquid chlorine to maintain the water at startup."

Ah yes I forgot about that., thx

Kids ages 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 were going to be in the water
:shock: do you have any hair left? Or food in the house at the end of the day? Bet there is a lot of laughter in your house! You are going to LOVE how tired the pools makes all of these little darlings!
I almost missed that ... I feel your pain! we had 4 kids in the span of 5 years, similarly spaced. I see you are in the odd years.. next year is the even's! Here's a look into the future... I now have three kids in college at the SAME TIME. a Senior, a Sophomore and a Freshman.... don't ask!

Last edited:
only 2 of those kids are mine lol

we have the first 2 kids of the next generation

2 are my wife's sister

1 belongs to my wife's cousin

the 3 oldest are peas in a pod and loved the pool Saturday. Non stop jumping off the wall and swimming into the grotto then over to the beach to repeat

I was able to shadow test and keep track of what he was doing every time.

Friday (Day 4 of startup service)
Added chlorine and CYA
Sat (Day 5)
9am testing
FC 14

He came later in the day while I was gone and gave us the green light to swim

I tested the FC when I got home to be on the safe side. Kids ages 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 were going to be in the water

Keep that FC up, apparently my guy did not even keep the minimum FC for very long. Maybe hit it once and the rest has been WAY below. Now its up to me to fix it. Technically, he started on 8/19 so he should be on the hook. I will be sure to have a talk with my PB about this one. Not a happy camper. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: NorCalX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Roughly at the 2 week mark and my PB said to unleash the robotic cleaner

I let my children decide on a name. My daughter said DOLPHIN....my son said BLUE

After negotiation it is now the BLUE DOLPHIN

And today it had the first run around the pool

Nice to see the leaves on the bottom get cleaned up finally. I don't have a vacuum.

It got hung up on the intake cover but everything else looked fine. It even climbed on my benches and the entry steps.

I watched it for about 30 minutes then decided to come back inside

Attachments

• Dolphin Time (1).jpg
    Dolphin Time (1).jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Dolphin Time (2).jpg
    Dolphin Time (2).jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Dolphin Time (3).jpg
    Dolphin Time (3).jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 88
Blue Dolphin has been drinking on the job...

30 minutes into clean cycle today I saw this out the window.

I have seen it climb the 18" bench before but it must have tried to climb the wall and tipped too far this time

I wish it pushed an error to my phone or something to alert me

I didn't know how to wake it up from the error so i stopped and started the entire clean cycle again

Attachments

• Dolphin Time (4).jpg
    Dolphin Time (4).jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Wow
Reactions: mguzzy and kimkats
4 weeks have passed

Fired up the gas and solar heat for the first time on Sunday.

Water was around 60 degrees at 8am. I got it up to 85 just after 2pm and enjoyed swimming in a warm pool. The heater was doing the heavy lifting until the sun came out and then the water got real warm.

Water temp dropped about 10 degrees over night.

Today I put the solar blanket on and cut it into sections so it would be manageable.

Solar only today got it back up to 81 degrees.

Going to monitor the drop tonight with the blanket on.

Attachments

• Solar Blanket (3).jpg
    Solar Blanket (3).jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Solar Blanket (2).jpg
    Solar Blanket (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Solar Blanket (1).jpg
    Solar Blanket (1).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 81
yes that is Mt Diablo. good eye!

So are you going to try and keep it warm through the winter? My pool is pretty much in limbo this time of year and I heat it up for a few special occasions.

Also what is behind that big cinder block wall? Fields? Levees? parking lots? Are you backed up against the state park? It would be cool if you could have Mt Diablo as the back drop to your multi cascade water fall!

BTW I have a similar weeping wall on the back side of my pool... I'm very tempted to retrofit it with some small cascades. I'll give you one guess where the inspiration came from.

So are you going to try and keep it warm through the winter? My pool is pretty much in limbo this time of year and I heat it up for a few special occasions.

Also what is behind that big cinder block wall? Fields? Levees? parking lots? Are you backed up against the state park? It would be cool if you could have Mt Diablo as the back drop to your multi cascade water fall!

BTW I have a similar weeping wall on the back side of my pool... I'm very tempted to retrofit it with some small cascades. I'll give you one guess where the inspiration came from.
small cascades? i have no imagination got any pictures or images?

As for the wall...
Currently there is nothing between that wall and Mount Diablo. My back wall is literally the urban limit line.

There is actually a special election going on right now because the owner wants the urban limit moved so high density senior can be built back there.

drama drama!

I think i owed some people fun shots enjoying the pool

my wife and SIL just had their bday so we cranked the heat up to 88....omg I think that is the perfect pool temperature it was so nice (I say this not having seen the gas bill yet...)

my kids also got their jump on...I was on catch duty...my SIL was filming and said I looked like the hand of God saving the kids because of the light placement

and my dog is slowly testing the pool by hanging out on the baja shelf now....I carried her through the water and she tried paddling last night...baby steps!

There is a request for an 88 degree Xmas swim now from the entire family...

Attachments

• 20191007_143052.jpg
    20191007_143052.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 43
  • hand of X2.jpg
    hand of X2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 51
  • JUMP!.jpg
    JUMP!.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20191009-193950_Hayward OmniLogic.jpg
    Screenshot_20191009-193950_Hayward OmniLogic.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 53

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.